So far my jury verdict batting average is 0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't really been keeping up with the trial so my opinion may not amount to squat but how can someone(lawyer) defend someone like that and sleep well at night.

Because we have this thing called the right to legal representation. We are a country of laws. If we just arbitrarily decided that someone accused of killing a child shouldn't be entitled to legal representation, then there would be basically nothing separating us from The Taliban.

Like it or not, but, because of the way the system works sometimes people who are guilty go free (I'm not saying that it happened this time because I wasn't on the jury and didn't get t o see any of the evidence). But there are many, many more people who have gone to jail or been executed who were innocent than there are those who were guilty and walked. (Let's not talk about all those people who were lynched for no good reason and never got to even have a trial).

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense.

I'm not saying that they have no right to legal representation. I'm just saying that I myself could not do it. I guess that I wouldn't make a good lawyer.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's Nacy Grace gonna talk about now? That's the real question. An existential nightmare from the likes of which she may never recover. Her hair, however, will undoubtedly remain immotile and unyielding throughout.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't really been keeping up with the trial so my opinion may not amount to squat but how can someone(lawyer) defend someone like that and sleep well at night.

It's a necessary evil.

They are a check on the system. If you listen to the defense attorney's statement after today's verdict, he puts it pretty well. I pretty much agreed with everything he said up until the point about the death penalty, he lost me right there.

Bottom line is that someone has to make the state prove the crime. They are an important part of the system. I wouldn't have had a hard time with this case, but there are many others where I would have an extremely hard time with if I were an attorney. Timothy McVeigh comes to mind. If I honestly believed that my client was not guilty, I would be good, otherwise, not so much.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai.imgur.com_HuK6e.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom