State grocery tax voted out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Shite. My property taxes went up almost 40% in 5 years. Transferred a title lately or late on a tag. The F’ers don’t miss a tax they don’t like.

What's going around you to cause the increase? Ours haven't gone up much at all over the last few years, and folks are buying 5a pieces of land out in the middle of nowhere within 2-5 miles around me and building $750k-$1.5 million dollar homes. Every one I know of so far are in their 60's or 70's too, and from out of state. Several Iowa couples actually.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've committed on this before, having lived in Texas about 10 years, I enjoyed no taxes on groceries or prescriptions. No income tax. Property tax on a $170k home in San Antonio runs about $4000. but this is an average. If you live in an area of mostly new housing, where the need to build new schools and other public infrastructure, they will be more. Bottom line is, it is going to take so much money to provide public services, and you will be taxed accordingly. I guess the thing that helps Texas most is the number of large companies that moved there because they are business friendly and warmer climate. The no income tax attracts a lot of folks. I would say that Texas tax system is a pretty good one, but I don't know if it is better in every case. Anyway, feel assured that the politicians will always be playing games with taxes.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's going around you to cause the increase? Ours haven't gone up much at all over the last few years, and folks are buying 5a pieces of land out in the middle of nowhere within 2-5 miles around me and building $750k-$1.5 million dollar homes. Every one I know of so far are in their 60's or 70's too, and from out of state. Several Iowa couples actually.
If it's anything like ours, bidenomics is playing hell on inflating home values and causing tax and insurance rate hikes.
Screenshot_20240223_092135_Zillow.jpg

I think the bubble is real close to popping.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's anything like ours, bidenomics is playing hell on inflating home values and causing tax and insurance rate hikes.

My daughter's homeowner's insurance went from $2485 to $4697 when it renews at the end of next month. Zero claims.

Needless to say she shopped another policy. I told her to plan on shopping policies every 2-3 years because they could care less if you cancel and go elsewhere.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 456234
You may not see that much of on increase in what you own but if you sold it try will jump to current market assessment. The world has been ending since it started

Latest posts

Top Bottom