State grocery tax voted out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's going around you to cause the increase?
Apparently your county assessor didn’t get the letter from the Tax and Spend Republican reminding him that he’s required by state law to reassess property valuations annually (yeah, that MFer actually sent that letter back around 2008 because county assessors were doing what was in their constituents’ best interests, not the .gov’s, and it still makes me mad whenever I think about it). Mine have gone up over 100% since I bought my place in 2004. It would probably go up more, but state law also limits the percentage they can increase the valuation each year.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This only eliminates the 4.5% State Sales tax portion of the total sales tax you pay everywhere. You will still pay the city sales tax on groceries unless each city council votes to eliminate their portion which is extremely doubtful as citiy's sales tax collection is a big part of each ciity's revenue. Especially the smaller cities.
Only 4.5% is a good start.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's going around you to cause the increase? Ours haven't gone up much at all over the last few years, and folks are buying 5a pieces of land out in the middle of nowhere within 2-5 miles around me and building $750k-$1.5 million dollar homes. Every one I know of so far are in their 60's or 70's too, and from out of state. Several Iowa couples actually.
Don’t know?? I’m in Oklahoma county…

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's going around you to cause the increase? Ours haven't gone up much at all over the last few years, and folks are buying 5a pieces of land out in the middle of nowhere within 2-5 miles around me and building $750k-$1.5 million dollar homes. Every one I know of so far are in their 60's or 70's too, and from out of state. Several Iowa couples actually.
Maybe because they think the need to build sidewalks everywhere. The Main Streets by my house are shut down to one lane each way, while you have to dodge potholes looking like you are drunk. It’s ridiculous.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tax might be a little cheaper, but I was paying more for insurance than my buddy in the Springs. He had a far nicer house than myself.

Don't know about the Springs. I lived in a different county for 25 years. Homeowners insurance is quite a bit higher here than it was in Colorado the last year I lived there...2015. And I lived in the mountains in a fire danger area. So I don't have a current tax bill to really compare apples to apples.

Taxes here are far cheaper than what I paid there. My property tax bill here is 25% of what it was in Colorado. Sales taxes are probably about the same, give or take just a bit. Vehicle registration fees are WAY cheaper here.
Oklahoma ranks almost right in the middle for taxes in the 50 states. So there are some better places, some worse.

I'll still take OK and I'll still take the 4.5%.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know about the Springs. I lived in a different county for 25 years. Homeowners insurance is quite a bit higher here than it was in Colorado the last year I lived there...2015. And I lived in the mountains in a fire danger area. So I don't have a current tax bill to really compare apples to apples.

Taxes here are far cheaper than what I paid there. My property tax bill here is 25% of what it was in Colorado. Sales taxes are probably about the same, give or take just a bit. Vehicle registration fees are WAY cheaper here.
Oklahoma ranks almost right in the middle for taxes in the 50 states. So there are some better places, some worse.

I'll still take OK and I'll still take the 4.5%.
I could go back and look at my COS property taxes but I don't recall them being as high especially if you considered it by sq ft. Our home in COS was 1 1/2 times as big as ours here. At the time we sold in 2017, it was valued about what ours in OK is now. Granted, if we had held onto it through the pandemic before selling it would've been about $200K higher!

I do miss COS as it hadn't gotten too liberal while we were there. Plus, waking up every morning to coffee/tea on the deck looking at Pikes Peak never got old. If it did, we'd just go back in the evening to watch the sunset with an ice cold craft beer from a local brewery!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People are in for a rude awakening if they ditch the state income tax here and adopt the Texas model. Currently my property taxes are slightly less than my income tax per year. That and more, I'm sure, will get added to the property tax.

But on the plus side, when I land a $300K a year job it'll be awesome!

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People are in for a rude awakening if they ditch the state income tax here and adopt the Texas model. Currently my property taxes are slightly less than my income tax per year. That and more, I'm sure, will get added to the property tax.

But on the plus side, when I land a $300K a year job it'll be awesome!

I can hear the howling now.

Folks think rent is high now, wait until property taxes increase alot and land words raise the rent to off set the costs.

Oh the howling

Latest posts

Top Bottom