Staten Island Resident Confronts Chuck Schumer; 'We Are Gonna Die!'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, they are suffering big time but I did see on the news about a line crew from Alabama showing up to help and they got turned down because they were not union. Don't know if that's true but it was sure reported..

From the several reports I have seen, it is true. The union is denying it in public of course.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Self-reliance is a simple concept that encourages each of us to take responsibility for our own needs. It is the precursor of neighbors helping neighbors. It used to be an American value and fortunately still is in some areas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reports huh?

Yep, News reports.
Like this one. BTW OG&E has crews up there as we speak headed for Newark NJ. Remains to be seen if the Unions will run them out.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/governme...nj-causes-alabama-recovery-crew-to-head-home/

Despite devastation and millions of power outages in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, a utility crew from Alabama said it has been unable to help a ravaged New Jersey shore town due to a union dispute.

Officials from the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers presented Alabama-based Decatur Utilities with documents that “required our folks to affiliate with the union,” Ray Hardin, general manager of Decatur, told FOX Business on Friday. “That was something that we could not agree to. It was our understanding and still is that it was a requirement for us to work in that area.”

Hardin said most of his six-man, four-vehicle crew was stuck in Virginia on Thursday instead of helping the N.J. shore town of Seaside Heights recover due to the bureaucratic tie-up. Eventually his crew ended up heading back home to Alabama because of the disagreement.

“We chose we could not agree to those documents and began looking for other areas that could use our assistance without those conditions,” Hardin said.

Ed Hill, international president of the IBEW, said in an emailed statement: "It is the policy of this union and the companies we represent to welcome assistance during major natural disasters -- regardless of union status."

Decatur said in a separate statement following Hardin's comments that its crews were held in place in Virginia pending clarification of documents received from the IBEW that "implied a requirement of our employees to agree to union affiliation while working in the" New York and N.J. areas.

Decatur said that as it waited for clarification, "we became aware that Seaside Heights had received the assistance they needed from other sources. To be clear, at no time were our crews 'turned away' from the utility in Seaside Heights."

Decatur said it tried to contact other areas that needed help, but "based on the uncertainty of union requirements that we could not agree to and the uncertainty of whether a resolution could be reached, we ultimately" decided to return the crew to Alabama.

"There have been reports that a nonunion crew was turned away from work in New Jersey," Hill said. "At this stage, it is not clear who is alleged to have turned the crew away and the company that employs the affected workers has denied the claim."

Earlier reports indicated two other Alabama utilities -- Huntsville Utilities and Joe Wheeler Cooperative -- were turned away from New Jersey due to union discrimination. However, those utilities have since denied those reports.

"It is unfortunate that at a time when skilled line workers are working around the clock to help devastated communities, sketchy reports should cast a pall over these efforts," Hill said. "The real story is that our members and others are working side by side to help people in New Jersey and all affected states get their power back and recover from the effects of the storm."

Hill said his union will continue to work with "anyone who shares our commitment to safety and service to ensure relief for the people of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast."

New Jersey, which is the home of many powerful unions, has been ravaged by Hurricane Sandy, especially Jersey Shore communities like Seaside Heights and Point Pleasant.

As of 3 p.m. ET on Thursday, an estimated 1.7 million New Jersey residents were without power, down from 1.8 million earlier in the day. Another 1.5 million in New York are believed to be without power.

PSE&G has said all customers are expected to have their power services restored within the next seven to ten days.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with BadgeBunny on this. "Thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by this horrible disaster." That's what we would see on OSA if this were local. I don't like the New York mentality of big nanny state either, but these are still human beings. The majority there voted for Schumer and Bloomberg and thought the gov't would be there to help them more. They were wrong. Doesn't mean you have to be an ass-hat and ENJOY these people suffering. I thought we Okies were kinda above that with all the disasters we go through.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am failing to understand how a discussion of the collective mindset of the victims shown on the media outlets is a callous personal attack? Or even, at best, suggests indifference to their current situation?

OTOH, some seem more than willing to take offense to reports that some responders are being turned away because they are not union members.

I don't hate any of these people. I have personally experienced events of this nature as a responder. Every bit of this was predictable and should have been mitigated in a better manner.

This thread did not appear to me to be a empathy collector. I was evidently wrong.

The groupthink is strong here.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you... masturbating with a dictionary and thesaurus?

Smaller words man, we can't hate if we're having to look crap up on the internet. That's like counting to 10, it completely spoils everyone's rage-ection.

I'm going over to the Harry Reid thread to build up some more anger before I come down off this hateraid-high.

Wait, I think I see some kids on my lawn...

My apologies. It is the way I normally write. Didja get them kids?

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WTJ, you want to look at it in context without the emotion. It's just my opinion, but I think it's more appropriate right now to help people in need and mourn with them as they go through this. There's plenty of time to point out how they were wrong in their mindset later. Right now, they need friggin' blankets, food, water and protection from looters. Seems kind of callous that you and OTHERS would just come right out and point out how unfortunate these people are that they have that "mindset" without even so much as saying "that sucks" to the fact that there's a bunch of people dead. All that does is alienate people with that mindset against people with our mindset. Again, just my opinion. That, coupled with the fact that you talk like Spock makes me think you're an EMOTIONLESS, GREEN-BLOODED VULCAN!!!

Seriously, I don't blame them for having that mindset, I blame the SNAKE-OIL POLITICIANS who sell them the idea that more gov't. equals total security. These people are victims twice over. Once from the hurricane and again from the scumbag pols they put their faith in to keep them safe, warm and fed when the **** hit the fan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom