taking off an ar-15 flash suppresor...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how is it done. I realize it has a place for a wrench. But are the locked on there pretty good or what? I am thinking on of those cmmg conversion and then the outback in place of the flash suppresor. what do you all think?

I know the mechanics of it (obvious) but are they tight enough to need a barrel vise or just wrench and turn it off?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how is it done. I realize it has a place for a wrench. But are the locked on there pretty good or what? I am thinking on of those cmmg conversion and then the outback in place of the flash suppresor. what do you all think?

I know the mechanics of it (obvious) but are they tight enough to need a barrel vise or just wrench and turn it off?

If it's a 14.5" barrel, then its pinned and obviously removing the flash hider makes it an SBR - so be careful. I think there are some pinned 16" guns out there, so be careful (some are done well enough with a blind pin or soldiered so you can't see it).

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have a barrel that was blind pinned so well I couldn't find it. I ended up used to dremel and thin metal cutter blade to cut off the flash suppressor.

I got the instruction from here

awww.kevinholman.com_byor_miniy_muzzle.jpg

awww.kevinholman.com_byor_miniy_muzzle2.jpg

awww.kevinholman.com_byor_miniy_muzzle3.jpg

awww.kevinholman.com_byor_miniy_muzzle5.jpg

awww.kevinholman.com_byor_miniy_muzzle6.jpg

This is where the pins are, one at 6 o'clock and one at 12 o'clock

I ground down far enough to find the pins but they wouldn't budge, so I took my dremal and used a cut off wheel to cut the comp in half. Make sure you do this right down the middle of the pin.

Then using a cold chissel, I split the comp. When I did this, it loosened the pins up.

I turned the pin by using the slot cut down the middle of the pin. Then I ground around the pin, using the cut off wheel until I had enough room to grab the pin with a needle nose pliar.

After the pin is out, cut down the middle a bit more, to connect the hole to the rest of the cut. Then split the comp open using the chissel.

The comp comes right off.

And here is the barrel with a phantom mocked up

It is VERY IMPORTANT to remember, that most of the Mini-Y's came on 14.5" barrels, and you MUST install a muzzle device that will get the barrel back to 16" or more (Phantom, Vortex) and that MUST be permanently installed, in a fashion acceptable and documented by the ATF.

AS SOON AS YOU TAKE THE BRAKE OFF, your barrel will make your AR a SBR, which is illegal, unless you have registered it and payed the ATF stamps, etc. Do not assemble your barrel back on the rifle until you have installed the new device permanently, and dont wait a long time to get the new device installed..... or "plan to" "someday" get it mounted permanently. The reward does not match the risk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom