Talk to me about Kydex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're not custom, but if you want to stay local (as in Jenks,) then you need to look into Tulster holsters. https://tulster.com/
If you check out their authorized dealers, the map hasn't been updated in a while. Blueline Weapons is no more and their location has become a cannabis dispensary.

Except they don’t make a outside the waistband holster that the OP wants.

Edit. My mistake. For some reason I read the original post as OWB. My apologies.

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“Best of both worlds” Good luck with that. :)

Dude, if you want a leather holster, buy a “quality” leather holster. You can get one for that price.

Is there a problem with a guy exploring other options? Up to this point I've always bought leather ones, but am looking/willing to expand horizons.

Except they don’t make a outside the waistband holster that the OP wants.

I dont recall specifying OWB.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a problem with a guy exploring other options? Up to this point I've always bought leather ones, but am looking/willing to expand horizons.

I dont recall specifying OWB.

My mistake there. I don’t know why I thought it said OWB.

My bad. And the holster recommendations I made at my first post will not work. My apologies.

Man, I wouldn’t try tuning that holster you linked IWB at all.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking of trying it...my carry holsters have always been leather. What should a guy look for, avoid, etc?
Is all kydex better than a hybrid? Brand recommendations? Anybody local (Tulsa) to have one "custom" made?

I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Let me try again. While most of my comments were universal, some were directed toward OWB specifically.

What is your intended carry position? IWB, OWB, AIWB?

“Is all kydex better than hybrid?” Absolutely!

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used a variety of holsters over the years and would like to comment here.
Kydex is great for competition and general range work.
Hybrid’s are cool because you can change plates for different pistols.
I learned to stay with leather for street use for two reasons.
1. kydex holsters will “spit “ out the pistol way too easy during a physical fight.
It’s true of both inside and outside the waist band models and hybrids.
2. Breaking upon contact with the ground and giving up the pistol during a fight.
These issues were encountered during training using full size handguns. 1911 & g17
Remember your way more likely to get physical with someone than you are to shoot them.
I will say that in real high temperatures and humidity I go to a kydex iwb due to
the sweat problem..
Also kydex works pretty well with smaller lighter guns like an air weight J frame, g43 or shield.
I use leather Askins Avenger style holsters for owb carry and a Milt Sparks summer special for iwb.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
And it should be apparent that the proper belt makes a huge difference. I’ve seen guys spend big bucks on a nice holster and wear it with a crappy belt. I’ve also seen a lot more people pointing the gun at themselves when reholstering in a leather holster. To each their own but it’s hard to beat a Keepers Concealment AIWB for my skinny butt. The fastest and most comfortable way I’ve ever carried a pistol. I’ve also used Vedders but they leave way too much material on the holster and aren’t as comfortable for me. The sight channel alone is about 3 times as high as it needs to be. A holster is a very personal and objective thing. Once you find one you like it’s like finding nirvana. Most of us have a box full of rejects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had a leather IWB that didn't collapse, even some owb will be impossible to reholster once gun is drawn.
Does anyone have IWB leather that doesn't collapse?
I've been carrying for about 20 years and usually carry iwb about 90% of the time.
For me, Comp-tac iwb about 80% and safariland owb about 80% of the time.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had a leather IWB that didn't collapse, even some owb will be impossible to reholster once gun is drawn.
Does anyone have IWB leather that doesn't collapse?
I've been carrying for about 20 years and usually carry iwb about 90% of the time.
For me, Comp-tac iwb about 80% and safariland owb about 80% of the time.

My Milt Sparks VersaMax IIs do not collapse. I have lots of miles on several of them. This picture is a few year old. I need to gather them up for another picture. I also have a couple of TT gunleathers. Both of these are clones or were inspired from an Alessi design. The Milt Sparks is a better holster than the TT GL version. But the TT does not collapse either. I have issues with the way it deforms at the belt loop area.

53633374103c88b950dbace6df453415.jpg

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Milt Sparks VersaMax IIs do not collapse. I have lots of miles on several of them. This picture is a few year old. I need to gather them up for another picture. I also have a couple of TT gunleathers. Both of these are clones or were inspired from an Alessi design. The Milt Sparks is a better holster than the TT GL version. But the TT does not collapse either. I have issues with the way it deforms at the belt loop area.

53633374103c88b950dbace6df453415.jpg
If a leather holster doesn’t have reinforcement like those above, I won’t buy it. someone thinks that it’s not important, they might as well admit that they didn’t train with that holster for more than 10 minutes, if that.
heck, I’d be more apt to shoot myself training with a flimsy leather holster that being shot by a bad guy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom