Taurus 709 Slim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay, here's the situation, my momma wants to carry, to fight victimization (okay, that's all I got, sorry).

Yeah, anyhoo... Where was I before Fresh Prince took over my mind? Oh yeah, My mom is getting her concealed carry license (I'm not sure if this is safe for the rest of us but ummmm, uhhhh)... And I've been looking over guns for her and the Taurus has a tremendous price and honestly, even though I want to hate on it, it seems to have gotten great reviews... But guess what, most every motha focking gun created gets great reviews so that **** isn't even reliable information any more. So, I'm axing if anyone here has experience with one. My expert opinion based on the aesthetics alone, tells me "Damn, son, that thing is boss!"

It looks like a great carry gun. And going back to the reviews... Guns and Ammo reviewed it with 7 others and it surprisingly came out in the number 3 position.

Thoughts? Advice? Pointers? Ideas? Ponderings? Dreams? Nightmares? Aspirations?

RugerSooner

Speedy Gonzalez
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I own a 709. I like it but hate it also. It is small, I have medium to large hands so the grip is difficult, but it is also extremely concealable. It field strips like a Glock, plus it has an extra round and an external safety. Which would be good for someone a little older. It is incredibly picky on ammunition. It will not shoot winchester white box, but it loves academy ammo. It is small so recoil can be difficult to manage. For the money, I think a Ruger LC9 or even a Glock 43 are better options. With Taurus in general, you get what you pay for.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So I own a 709. I like it but hate it also. It is small, I have medium to large hands so the grip is difficult, but it is also extremely concealable. It field strips like a Glock, plus it has an extra round and an external safety. Which would be good for someone a little older. It is incredibly picky on ammunition. It will not shoot winchester white box, but it loves academy ammo. It is small so recoil can be difficult to manage. For the money, I think a Ruger LC9 or even a Glock 43 are better options. With Taurus in general, you get what you pay for.

Yup... Kinda wondered that. I'll check those others out. Thanks!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at a Shield, too. For less than $100 more, I'd go that route. I own both, BTW. And if you think recoil may be a problem, the smaller 9mm may giver her trouble, too.... maybe the .380s are a better option, as much as I hate to recommend one of those. lol

<edit> As for the LC9, I found it INCREDIBLY difficult to activate the slide release when the slide was locked back. This is the one reason I didn't get it. I have pretty strong hands, and I know my wife would not have been able to drop that slide by activating the slide release with her thumb - hell, I couldn't. I had to pull the slide back to release it and drop the slide. Maybe that is something that breaks in on them, but I really disliked that.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Look at a Shield, too. For less than $100 more, I'd go that route. I own both, BTW. And if you think recoil may be a problem, the smaller 9mm may giver her trouble, too.... maybe the .380s are a better option, as much as I hate to recommend one of those. lol

<edit> As for the LC9, I found it INCREDIBLY difficult to activate the slide release when the slide was locked back. This is the one reason I didn't get it. I have pretty strong hands, and I know my wife would not have been able to drop that slide by activating the slide release with her thumb - hell, I couldn't. I had to pull the slide back to release it and drop the slide. Maybe that is something that breaks in on them, but I really disliked that.

Good point about the LC9! Thanks for mentioning! I checked out the Sheild and was very impressed! Heard they've sold a buttload of them and have a very favorable opinion. I think I'm going to go steer her that direction.

Side note: I held the Gloct 43 as well... Whoa! It felt great! I've not really been a fan of the ergonomics of Glocks but this one was very different. I think I need one. :D

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could also look at the Walther PPS, which is basically what the 709 is aimed at competing with, but the Walther handles all ammo well and has better ergonomics. On another note the Bersa 380 is a full metal medium sized pistol that is easier to handle recoil and slide operation.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife's every day carry is a 709 slim in 9 mm. Her only complaint is the trigger pull is too heavy. I've got a safe full of guns that we went through trying to find ones that fit her hands and were easy for her to operate. I've got a Sig 938, a Shield(that's what I carry now), and a Glock 33 that she tried and for different reasons didn't like.

She finds the 709 works great in her carry purse and she loves that it has a safety(we have a 4 yr old) and she can rack the slide easily. She takes it to the range about every three months to practice.

We've had no issues with ammo but we stick primarily to Remington FMJ for practice and Fiocchi for the self defense stuff.

Hope that helps.

jonodeck

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I own a 709. Never, ever had a malfunction. Trigger pull is long but after shooting it you'll know when it will fire. It is very concealable. It's not a range gun, after about 50 rounds it'll start digging into the webbing between the thumb and forefinger. As mentioned by another member, easy to disassemble and clean. I think it's a fine weapon.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you are asking about the 709, but let's take a step back first...

Momma needs to make sure she is ready to carry, and decide how she is going to carry. She needs to get in the mindset.

I would HIGHLY suggest she take TDSA's Introduction to Firearms for Ladies course if she hasn't. It's way more than a gun class, it's a change to her mindset about personal safety as well. In addition they will work with her on proper grip, stance, and usage of the sights.

Back to the 709, I shot one once, and hated it, very thin, very uncomfortable.

I would suggest in the interim she get some good pepper spray and a good small flashlight. Get used to carrying them, and having them ready. Take the Class, then go to the range and shoot rental guns until she finds what she likes, one she will shoot and practice with, and carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom