Teachers strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Teachers should be like all other jobs. A teacher's raise should be individual, not across the board. Yukon has a few good teachers that care about the kids and some teachers who really suck. They all want the raise. Why should someone who sucks at their job get a raise? Bad teachers need to kick rocks.
Most of the kids in Yukon will tell you that the teachers do not care about the kids. Some of the good teachers will tell you that a lot of the teachers don't care.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, today’s teachers have to do the job so many parents fail to do. They have to handle the mentally handicapped, physically handicapped, emotionally disturbed, irate parents, and now we think they should also be the armed security, and oh by the way, no pay raise in ten years. I would have never worked this way

I missed this. They are Mainstreaming these kids based on the more humanitarian concept that they should not be excluded; but, although some (especially those with cerebral palsy) May receive benefits from this arrangement, the fact is that Teachers may have to spend 75% of their time with these ‘students’ at the expense of leaving the body of their classes shortchanged. Many School Districts have policies that ‘state ’ that Teacher’s Aids must be supplied to assist in classes burdened with Special Students, but in many or most cases, Teachers must handle the additional responsibilities. Truthfully, the severely impaired Students would be better served with s Nurses Aid. As far as the realistic education potential for these Students is concerned, the prospects are on the extreme low end of the curve representing Law of Diminishing Returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an honest question - "no pay raise" in 10 years? Does that mean they do not get a yearly rates based on inflation that is automatic? That literally what they are being paid today is the same exact amount that they were paid 10 years ago? I'd like to hear if this is true or not.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have an honest question - "no pay raise" in 10 years? Does that mean they do not get a yearly rates based on inflation that is automatic? That literally what they are being paid today is the same exact amount that they were paid 10 years ago? I'd like to hear if this is true or not.
http://teaching.monster.com/careers/articles/7515-average-teaching-salaries-by-state-2007-2008
Oklahoma $43,551

http://oklahomawatch.org/2014/04/21/which-schools-pay-teachers-the-most-and-least/
http://oklahomawatch.org/2017/01/06/teacher-salaries-by-district-2/

current average seems about the same

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a legit gripe. They should be getting raises each year to keep up with the cost of living, inflation, etc.

FWIW, my son is in 8th grade and I think maybe 15-20% of his teachers have been what I would call quality and professional. My wife and I always spend the evening teaching him the things that he didn't learn during the day. I agree with the poster who says they shouldn't all be paid the same. Or at least they need a grading system that is tough and they get paid on how good a job they do.

I really don't like the tactics the teachers union is up to though, or their constant media onslaught about how the teachers are vicitim's everyday. I respect the teachers who go to work anyway like the one that posted early on in this thread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom