Teachers strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

http://publicschoolsk12.com/all-schools/ok/

White Oak High School Information

This high school has a total enrollment of 31 students with approximately 4 full-time teachers. It has a student to teacher ratio of about 7 students per teacher. The average student-teacher ratio for Craig County is 16 to 1.
[Broken External Image]
Enrollment by Grade Level
» 9th Grade Students 5
» 10th Grade Students 4
» 11th Grade Students 9
» 12th Grade Students 13
Total students 31
Total Full-time teachers 4.4
Student / Teacher Ratio 7:1
Students eligible for free lunch 21 (68%)
Students eligible for reduced lunch 5 (16%)

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Teachers should be like all other jobs. A teacher's raise should be individual, not across the board. Yukon has a few good teachers that care about the kids and some teachers who really suck. They all want the raise. Why should someone who sucks at their job get a raise? Bad teachers need to kick rocks.
Most of the kids in Yukon will tell you that the teachers do not care about the kids. Some of the good teachers will tell you that a lot of the teachers don't care.
So there are step raises then?
as a teacher, some years yes, some years no. the last raise teachers received I did not get because it only went to teachers that made state minimum.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome! Perhaps you could chime in on the raise situation?
I went to an area meeting evening with a few state legislators. Overall it seems like teachers and superintendents are going to strike, that were a the meeting. The legislators seemed to understand that on April 2 it is going to happen and they did not have an answer about how to prevent the strike. However, they also said that teachers are going to get a raise, it is just a matter of how much, and how to fund it.

Rust Shackleford

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to add a little more background. I got in to education in my early 30's through the alternative certification program. I am now in my 6th year of teaching/coaching. I currently make approximately $5k per year less than I did when I worked in the private sector. I get an extra $1k per year d/t holding a masters degree (MBA). My coaching stipend varies year to year based on what I am coaching, but generally adds around 10% above my salary. My district pays based on the state minimum salary schedule so I receive a raise of approximately $400 per year. FWIW I am not complaining about my pay, just trying to give some insight.

I love what I do, and have no intentions of leaving the profession with or without a raise. My school has great administration and community support.

I'm lucky enough to have a wife who makes good money (this has not always been the case, I made more than her during parts of my career) so financially we are not feeling the strain that many educators and school districts are feeling. That being said, I talk to my athletes about putting the teams needs ahead of their own and feel like this is an opportunity for me to practice what I preach and show leadership to those kids who are always watching what we do, therefore at this time I do plan to participate in the walkout.

It feels like I'm rambling so I'm going to sign off on this post. I'd be happy to answer any questions any of you have.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For our teachers here on OSA, I have a question about raises/cost of living increases etc. What does that really look like? Most of us have no real visibility into anyone else's lives but our own. What would the last 15 years of pay increases look like for the average incoming new Oklahoma educator? Not meant in a snarky way at all, I really want to know so we can cut through the rhetoric on both sides and hear from you the person on the ground. A 30,000 foot overview doesn't really mean a damn thing and that's all we get from the news.

I would add that I volunteered for an event last fall as a business professional in my absolute area of expertise and definitely learned I WOULDN'T LAST A WEEK as a teacher. WOW! Big eye opener!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom