To catch a thief

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate thieves. We have property that's almost an hour away and some jacktard has been breaking into the house and stealing crap. Sheriff's office is well aware and was supposed keeping an eye on the place, but they're still breaking in and stealing crap. Does anyone have any experience with cellular trail cameras for security?

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
Trail cameras? Hell, I have full blown video of a thief and the TPD doesn't even want to look at it.

From previous experience, I can totally believe that. I'm just looking for something that will inform me exactly when the people are breaking in, and the pics would be a big plus.

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a camera, but I have heard of guys who have laid patiently in wait a time or two...

I wish that I had the time for that. The house is 40'ish miles from where we currently live, so I can't really keep a good eye on it. The closest neighbors there are about 1/2 a mile away. They have ran several people off of the place, but it's not enough. We've had vehicles stolen, front and back doors broken in..you name it. I need something that will alert me as to when someone is there and a cellular trail cam is the only thing that I can think of at the moment.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i knew a guy that came home and found his house had been burgled, but they left some stuff stacked by their exit window, he pulled up a chair and waited, thief returns gets 1/2 the way thru the window, Jack shot him dead on the spot. Jack was sweating 1st degree murder charges. i'll mention his name cause some of the old timer OKC beer drinking crowd might have known him, he's passed on so i don't think it matters. Jack Spivey, we all ran together some, jack, mike orbaugh, joe kanaser (likely misspelled), charlie watts, toad, mike dunn,,we were an unsavory bunch LOL

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might look into SimpliSafe. They're not terribly popular after they dropped their NRA discount, but if you have cellular coverage out there, they provide a relatively inexpensive means of adding an alarm system.

Ring does as well; their new monitored alarm system costs $99/year, or $9.99/month (IIRC) Their cameras need internet access, but I'm not sure if their alarm system does, or if it can use the cellular network.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, I'd look into the Ring battery powered cameras or even the corded ones. Put them in somewhat hidden areas that can take pics or film of common areas where thieves would go. Also, if you can put one at an entrance of the property it would be good in getting video of their car or 4 wheelers, etc. The ring products are not cheap but lots of people I know seem to really like them. And once you rent your place out you can take those camera and use them at your own place.

Personally, if this property is a place you will always have and it sits vacant I'd probably look at building a small 1BD/1BA cabin and "hire" an older couple or man to be a caretaker of the property. Doesn't have to be near the main residence but would serve you well for other purposes if a caretake was no longer needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom