To catch a thief

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyparnold8108

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish that there was a pattern, there isn't. I honestly believe that it's more than 1 group of thieving buttnuggets. It's pretty open at that place, so camera placement will be a task in itself.

Friends had the same problem, but the cameras were stolen too. Fixed them by placing one camera only moderately well hidden, then aiming another at that spot to get good pics of them as they steal the first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would make a scene of moving some "nice stuff" intro the house (empty boxes that say 60" tV, Stereo, high end electronics etc) leave the boxes where they can be seen from a window and hire some "adult" that is responsible for one week (to keep expenses reasonable). Chances are that the thieves are watching the house and the guy you hired won't have to remain a week. But he'd have to be armed because they could be meth heads or worse...or simply teenagers looking for money pay for their next drug buy. Just an idea, I like to fake people out and keep them guessing.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friends had the same problem, but the cameras were stolen too. Fixed them by placing one camera only moderately well hidden, then aiming another at that spot to get good pics of them as they steal the first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now, that's one of my biggest concerns (stealing camera). I've been looking hard at the Spypoint Link 4g just for that reason - it has built in GPS tracking and will automatically let you know if anything tampers with it. I just wish that I knew how reliable that feature is; I can't afford to throw down $400 on a camera just to have it walk off.

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
I would make a scene of moving some "nice stuff" intro the house (empty boxes that say 60" tV, Stereo, high end electronics etc) leave the boxes where they can be seen from a window and hire some "adult" that is responsible for one week (to keep expenses reasonable). Chances are that the thieves are watching the house and the guy you hired won't have to remain a week. But he'd have to be armed because they could be meth heads or worse...or simply teenagers looking for money pay for their next drug buy. Just an idea, I like to fake people out and keep them guessing.

Nobody is watching that house. It's a "plains-like" setting, with hardly any trees around and we know all of the neighbors. I think that it's just random scum looking for their next meth fix.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some good deals on used simpisafe systems on eBay since new version came out. They work well, no contract just pay by month. I have system and they work well. I would also put a trail cam up for photos to go with it.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now, that's one of my biggest concerns (stealing camera). I've been looking hard at the Spypoint Link 4g just for that reason - it has built in GPS tracking and will automatically let you know if anything tampers with it. I just wish that I knew how reliable that feature is; I can't afford to throw down $400 on a camera just to have it walk off.
If it has GPS tracking will it phone home and report where it is if it's stolen?

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
If it has GPS tracking will it phone home and report where it is if it's stolen?

It says that it will. I thought that it activated automatically, but according to the manual for the trailcam it's done through the mySpypoint website. I'm curious as to how dependable it is though.

Mini Live 4G.JPG

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can buy steel covers for the trail cameras that secure themselves to trees with a cable that would take a bolt cutter to remove.
Not many meth heads carry around bolt cutters.

There are many different models. Here is one.
https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Trail-Cameras-Security-Box/dp/B07GB1RNXN

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
You can buy steel covers for the trail cameras that secure themselves to trees with a cable that would take a bolt cutter to remove.
Not many meth heads carry around bolt cutters.

There are many different models. Here is one.
https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Trail-Cameras-Security-Box/dp/B07GB1RNXN
Yeah, that brings up another problem. There are no trees close to the house..so concealment is gonna be fun. I'll figure it out, but I just want to make sure that I have the correct equipment first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom