To the Devil Dogs, Jarheads, and Leathernecks....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son has been in San Diego for 2 weeks tomorrow. I received his 5 second phone call on day 1 and his first letter yesterday. I'm just setting here on my third glass of Bulliet and missing my boy. I have had so many emotions and thoughts since he left. I have spent hours on youtube and on the internet learning what he is going through.

For those who have gone through this, I salute you. I did not come from a military family and not accustomed to this. It doesn't register until its you or one of yours that is going through it.

I have no fear whatsoever that he will make it through the training. My problem is knowing my baby bird is leaving the nest. ..... Got to go refill my glass....

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son has been in San Diego for 2 weeks tomorrow. I received his 5 second phone call on day 1 and his first letter yesterday. I'm just setting here on my third glass of Bulliet and missing my boy. I have had so many emotions and thoughts since he left. I have spent hours on youtube and on the internet learning what he is going through.

For those who have gone through this, I salute you. I did not come from a military family and not accustomed to this. It doesn't register until its you or one of yours that is going through it.

I have no fear whatsoever that he will make it through the training. My problem is knowing my baby bird is leaving the nest. ..... Got to go refill my glass....

While those guys are in my department, I did not share the uniform.

I think its safe to say you may have sent your son but will meet a man when you next see him.

Every parent I've spoken to about this transformation has been consistent in their praise of the development and maturity that occurs in their child in a couple of short months.

While it's a tough process for everyone, I think you'll find the results desirable.

Best wishes for you both!

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very few people ever leave MCRD or Quantico unchanged. If the DIs do their job, they will enhance what you built. He will walk a little taller, straighter and with a purpose. This is only the beginning.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went through MCRD San Diego Boot Camp in 1971. It is hard to explain the culture of the Corps, but all who were or are a part of it understand. Graduating from Boot Camp and having my Drill Instructors say "Congratulations, Marine" was one of the best moments of my life. It was no picnic, but it's not supposed to be. It was damn well worth it to be able to wear that Marine Corps Emblem.

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope you make it to the graduation. My grandson was at the San Diego MCRD last March. Awesome, awesome experience. He's now in mass comm school at Ft Meade, MD. Also experiencing his first blizzard.

Mr. Bsa

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a 7 year old son and this gets me a little choked up knowing that waaaay to soon he'll be leaving the nest as well.
Congrats on him going to become a marine! You have raised him well and it must be great to see him going the path of the solution oriented instead of going off to hang with his crew that are doing nothing and going nowhere being losers and a drag on society. Must be satisfying

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no way to explain what he's going through, you must experience it to know. He will become part of a Brotherhood that will never leave him. Congrats.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When he gets back home as a Marine, PM me; Jimmy and I will take him to Sgt. Grits and buy him some USMC stuff and fill him full of "Old Corps" stories. (Most of which will be either mostly BS or just outright lies).

Latest posts

Top Bottom