Transmission and/or cooling system flush - how often do you do these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife's vehicle (2008 Scion xB) has hit 50K miles so I thought I'd call the dealership ahead of time and see what they were going to hit me with when I take it in for an oil change. They recommended a transmission flush ($245) and cooling system flush ($155), but wow these prices seem high to me. (I know that is how dealers are though). My question is to those of you who know cars well - when would you recommend these services (mileage wise) and would you recommend someplace else that is reliable and less expensive? I do plan on keeping this car for a long time...

Thanks,

Alan

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From my one time experience, I do not touch the transmission. The one and only time I had a transmission flush done, it crapped out on me three months later. Odd? Maybe, but it was working just fine before the flush.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My personal experience is never to "flush". Only drain and re-fill with new fluids. Also if you are way out of the service interval then you might skip any service and only top off the fluids.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good maintenance is cheap in the long run. Transmission failures after long-delayed fluid service can wash away varnish that has become a part of the internal sealing. Routine maintenance prevents varnish deposits and keeps the seals soft. Coolant becomes acidic and will dissolve the components it contacts. Flushing neglected coolant can expose holes in the system that already existed, but were sealed with debris. Brake fluid becomes moisture saturated and corrodes expensive cylinders and ABS controls. Nothing is more fun than replacing a $2000 ABS control module. Will flushing fluids that are filled with dirt, varnish and carbon that has become a part of the component? No, because the failure has already occurred.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my one time experience, I do not touch the transmission. The one and only time I had a transmission flush done, it crapped out on me three months later. Odd? Maybe, but it was working just fine before the flush.

Very odd. I have done several hundred trans services, this has never happened to one of my customers.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
every 2 years i drain and refill the radiators in my vehicles.(race cars every year different mix for summer and winter).I have owned over 250 vehicles by the time i was 24.
I build engines and transmissions and rearends..well actually have built many of my own cars from shells..
i do it all.
BUT the trans and rearend service most people do not worry with..every 20,000 miles or sooner i drain and refill.
Front wheel drive automatics: I drain and fill every other oil change.. usually only 3 quarts in my 4 cylinder stuff.
Never any issues for me to get 250,000 trouble free miles from my cars..
Longest one lasted me 376,000 hard miles..pizza delivery and trailer hauling ..drivetrain was still excellent..but the car fell apart around it...Too many rough outings while fishing and hunting i guess..

That car had a lot of air under the tires many times...
Like stated..skip the flush..just drain and refill if you can..
That is for all fluids...If there is a filter ..go ahead and replace it also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom