Transmission and/or cooling system flush - how often do you do these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very odd. I have done several hundred trans services, this has never happened to one of my customers.

I'm not doubting you but I was just wondering how you could possibly know that it never happened out of several hundred. I do know for sure that I have owned vehicles since 1968 and I have had one transmission flushed simply because my wife read in the owners manual that that would be the proper thing to do. The transmission starting slipping within days and was still slipping when I traded it off. Never again as far as I'm concerned....

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never power flush transmissions, just drain & refill with factory OE fluid & or replace filter if it has one, 30.000 mile intervals work good on any car, funny how some manufactures say just ad gas and do oil & filter changes every 7500 miles is all thats needed to do for 100.000 miles, this has something to do with the label on the new car stickers, the one that estimates your maintance costs, some people really buy a car based on what it costs to operate and maintain a car

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had transmissions flushed twice.
Both times the transmissions began slipping within a couple months.
I wouldn't recommend the flushes. Change fluid and filter only.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trannies..... If the fluid looks good and deasnt smell burnt, just add to it if it get low. If it starts to go bad, drain it, changed filter and add need fluid.

Cooling systems....
Well my dad owned a Radiator Shop in BA for 30 years. I've worked for him and seen plenty of nasty cooling systems.
Honestly for as cheep as Anti Freeze and water is, its good to flush your entire system every few years. Why skimp on an hours worth of work and $25 to clog up your radiator and heater core, kill your water pump and thermostat and risk clogging up water jackets in your motor?
And For God Sakes NEVER use any type of Stop Leak in your cooling system!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
VIKING said:
I'm not doubting you but I was just wondering how you could possibly know that it never happened out of several hundred. I do know for sure that I have owned vehicles since 1968 and I have had one transmission flushed simply because my wife read in the owners manual that that would be the proper thing to do. The transmission starting slipping within days and was still slipping when I traded it off. Never again as far as I'm concerned....

I've got 287,000 miles on my Tacoma. Previously had over 300,000 miles on a Ford Bronco.
I've never changed anything in any of them in the transmission. Open them up, introduce contamination. If your filter plugs up, it's because your tranny is trashed already.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
293,000 on 03' Ford Torqshift tranny behind 6.0lPSD, Fluid and "external" filter changed every 50,000 miles. Pan and pan filter have never been touched. 278,000 on 4 speed tranny behind 02' 7.3l PDS, fluid changed every 50,000, pan and pan filter have never been touched. 175,000 miles on 91' 4sp tranny behind 4.9l straight 6, tranny filter never touched, fluid changed every 30,000 miles.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't flush the trans, just drain and refill. You can swap the filter if you want, 50K is nothing for a trans filter. You should flush the radiator, Electrolysis leaches metal away from the aluminum base materials and iron components rust. You don't have to do it, but if you do it in your driveway it's cheap.

Every trans shop in the country will likely tell you that flushing an old trans with lots of miles on it can kill it. It washes away the varnish and other gunk that is likely holding your transmission together. 50K is not a big deal, you could get away with flushing, but there is no reason for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom