Trip to austin this weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrentn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are going to austin this weekend for a wedding. We are planning to stay an extra day, so we are looking for things to do, either in Austin, nearby, or on the way there. What are you guys/gals suggestions. Thanks.

sent from omicron persei 8.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the love of all that is holy stay far away from dirty 6th.

State Cap. tour is actually really cool. I second that. U.T. clock tower too. Check citywide concert listings on Songkick for the days you're there. Always good music in ATX. James McMurtry has residence at the Continental Club on Tuesdays IIRC.

My required stops are the Chili Parlor and Room Service thrift shop.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the love of all that is holy stay far away from dirty 6th.

State Cap. tour is actually really cool. I second that. U.T. clock tower too. Check citywide concert listings on Songkick for the days you're there. Always good music in ATX. James McMurtry has residence at the Continental Club on Tuesdays IIRC.

My required stops are the Chili Parlor and Room Service thrift shop.

Couldn't agree more about 6th. Unless you're a college kid who wants to get hammered and make stupid choices, stay away. It's basically a machine for getting people drunk and separating suckers from their money. Friends always want to go when they visit, and usually end up over it within 15 minutes. There are some awesome places farther south, though. I love Jo's Coffee on 2nd.

Also I wouldn't go to the Oasis. That's another tourist trap. Yes the view is great. But the prices are high and the food is taco cabana quality, and that's not an exaggeration.

Franklin barbecue is a hit, but be prepared to get there early and stand in line for a few hours. If you want to forego that, you can goto Salt Lick barbecue in Driftwood. It's cash only and BYOB, and some time wait times are a bit long, but it's good stuff.

If you want a beer, check out Draught House in Central Austin. Pint House pizza is another great place for beer and pizza. They brew onsite, and their head brewer is the ex-brewmaster from Odell in Ft. Collins.

South Congress and Zilker park/Barton Springs area are two of my favorite places to go.

Other quintessential places to go:
Shady Grove or Uncle Billy's Brew and Que on Barton Springs
Home Slice on South Congress
Torchy's Tacos (all over)

If you want to see the where "Hop Bunz" in Tulsa stole their idea from, you can go to Hop Doddy. You WILL wait there, though. Probably at least 30 minutes or more depending on the location.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas Rangers museum (law enforcement, not baseball) in Waco is pretty cool. Good places to eat nearby there on the river as well.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Louie mueller BBQ in Taylor. Its the older BBQ place the others listed in here tried to be like. Get the beef ribs.

The capital/Capitol is nice.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't fly! The ATC tower is flooded and full services have yet to be restored. Flight delays and cancellations galore!

Latest posts

Top Bottom