Two Scopes, Two Rifles... which for which?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which scope for which rifle?

• SS 12x42 with 6.5CM AR-10 and PST with 6.5CM Bolt

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • SS 12x42 with 6.5CM Bolt and PST with 6.5CM AR-10

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have two scopes, one a Vortex PST 6-24, and the other SWFA SS 12x42. I have an AR-10 platform in 6.5CM and a new bolt gun coming in 6.5CM. Which scope should go with which rifle? I originally planned to buy 2 Vortex Razors for the rifles, but decided to make some big career changes that means I will be very short on cash for a a year or so, so that is out. So... would you put the PST on the Bolt, or the AR10? The bolt should be a little bit more accurate, but not a lot. The AR10 is good for under .5MOA, as the bolt gun should be as well.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two votes for putting the variable with the AR10, that makes sense in my head, but I'm curious for others reasoning for this? If it matters, both rifles are top-notch quality, but I expect the bolt gun to be a hair better in the accuracy department than the AR10.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to get a quick target acquisition from 12 power would be a bit tough especially just a quick draw up to the shoulder and fire.
I would say it would depend on how you will be using each gun though.
I hunt with my guns and many times i have to draw up in .001 seconds (you know what i mean) and the target is 40 yards or much much less.

Makes me glad i have the scope on low power setting and adjusted to the right spot for my eye to get a clear full view.

I would think for shooting tiny groups in paper the 24 power would be nice.
but on my last outing at 300 yards my 243 with 9 power max out shot my .308 with 24 power as max scope.
Some bullet holes touching each otherwith the 243.

Makes you think.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both are fine scopes, but I don't like either for you application. Although, you may be stuck as I understand. On an AR style I like the newer 1-6 power options. I have a couple of great viper 1-4 pst's on some .223 AR's, although the 1-6 intrigues me especially with a longer distance capable 6.5. On bolts I like a 3-9 for shorter work and a 4-12 for longer range.

Ymmv. This and a couple bucks can get you a coffee.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both are fine scopes, but I don't like either for you application. Although, you may be stuck as I understand. On an AR style I like the newer 1-6 power options. I have a couple of great viper 1-4 pst's on some .223 AR's, although the 1-6 intrigues me especially with a longer distance capable 6.5. On bolts I like a 3-9 for shorter work and a 4-12 for longer range.

Ymmv. This and a couple bucks can get you a coffee.

For an AR I do want to get a 1-6 PST (when I have some money again); but the AR10 I am referring to is a JP LRP 6.5CM with 22" barrel, a heavy sucker I use mostly for longer range target shooting, hence the 6-24 that I have on it now.

Ideally I'd put a razor on the new rifle, but that isn't in the budget either so, it looks like for now it will wear the 12x.

soonerman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Variable on the LRP. Fixed for the bolt. At 12x, a bolt and close range quick follow up shots aren't really in the same deck of cards to me, but the LRP gives semi-auto follow up speed therefore the optic capable of short range target acquisition and tracking would be my choice. I put a 3-18x44 on my .308 and love it. OF COURSE I wish it were 1-87x44 but to my knowledge that isn't available. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom