Unlawful to not pull over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran it down, because I was curious. Title 47, 12-218 defines what lights an unmarked car must use if it is for traffic enforcement. No mention of uniforms.

B. A law enforcement vehicle when used as an authorized emergency vehicle may but need not be equipped with alternately-flashing red or blue lights specified herein. An unmarked vehicle used as a law enforcement vehicle for routine traffic enforcement shall be equipped with the following combination of lights:

1. Three flashing red, blue, or a combination of red and blue lights emitting the flashing lights to the front of the vehicle;

2. Two flashing white lights emitting the flashing white lights to the front of the vehicle;

3. Flashing red, blue, white or any combination of red, blue or white lights placed at and emitting the flashing lights from the four corners of the vehicle so that they are visible for three hundred sixty (360) degrees; and

4. One flashing red, blue, amber, or any combination of red, blue, or amber lights emitting the flashing light to the rear of the vehicle.

C. The use of the signal equipment described herein shall impose upon drivers of other vehicles the obligation to yield right-of-way and stop for authorized emergency vehicles, as prescribed in Section 11-405 of this title.

So, yes, you must stop, and no, they may not be in uniform except most agencies seem to have that as a policy. I am happy to be wrong if this is defined elsewhere in the state code.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I ran it down, because I was curious. Title 47, 12-218 defines what lights an unmarked car must use if it is for traffic enforcement. No mention of uniforms.

So, yes, you must stop, and no, they may not be in uniform except most agencies seem to have that as a policy. I am happy to be wrong if this is defined elsewhere in the state code.
i bet it's more department policy than law

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, at the minimum if it doesn't light up like a Christmas Tree as stated previously, it is not allowed to be used for traffic enforcement.

So, local Deputy Dawg can't hang a reg light on the roof of his POV like Kojak and run a speed trap.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid but I need some clarification. I have noticed a dramatic increase in unmarked, "everyday" vehicles being used by law enforcement. These vehicles include cars, trucks, and SUVs that appear normal other than the emergency lights mounted above rear view mirror.

Are you required by law to pull over for an unmarked, no typical vehicle?

After watching those stupid ID shows that my wife watches 24-7, this got me wondering. One of the episodes addressed this issue because some scumbag was using a crown vic with mounted lights to pull over women in order to abduct them. Again, stupid question but am still wondering!

Yes, you need to pull over. If it's a true unmarked vehicle the officer must be in uniform.

jdubya

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think what I heard was from a couple years ago when there was a guy actively pulling women over and attacking them. They interviewed an OKCPD spokesperson on what drivers should do in this situation. The actual news story may be available online somewhere if someone can find it. Personally I think using unmarked cars for traffic stops is just a bad idea. They say it dramatically decreases the number of speeders but, in my experience, a marked car works a whole lot better. One marked car in traffic will slow the flow around him for miles...heck, people will even drive under the speed limit when there's a marked car in amongst everyone. Instead of unmarked cars just put more marked cars out during heavy traffic periods and problem solved.
Hahaha yeah no one ever passes a marked patrol car! Man that's funny!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll pass a marked unit in a heartbeat, if it's going below the posted speed limit. :)

If you just don't believe it's a real officer, drop your speed, put on your hazard lights and call the police. They'll be able to let you know for sure.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

But how long and how far until you MUST stop.
It would still be very easy to duplicate the lights, and ...how many people know "the sequence and type of light that must be used"

.and Thanks for taking the time to "actually " look it up..

.Im going to the nearest well lit area....just so theres no confusion... ;)

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a story from 5 years ago...me driving on the road in front of th Spirt Bank arena, pulled up to the stop sign by Taco Bueno...behind an old all black Ford Police Interceptor...Iowa lic plate. Person would not go through the stop sign so I honked a "get along." The "interceptor" moved forward about 20' and slamed on the brakes for a long pause and moved on. I went to the grocery store across the street. Walking into the store I hear someone yelling at me that they are going to call the police due to how I was driveing. Actually kinda scared me. When I exited the store I think the entire Bixby swat team was in the parking lot. A Bixby officer in camo asked for my license. Before I could reach for my license the guy next to him...dressed in blue pants and a blue T shirt with Glock, mags and cuffs on his belt but no badge or other identifing items...yelled at me for driving crazy. Really, this crap happens??? I ignored the mouthy guy and gave the Bixby officer my license. He asked why I ignored the officer (the guy yelling) and did not head to his commands. I answered with a question, "would you stop for a loud mouthed individual driving a aution clunker police interceptor with Iowa plates?" The Bixby officer said he would not. The mouthy guy said his integrity has never been questioned by anyone till now. Sorry dude! I asked the mouthy guy what he was...in Bixby. After a long pause he said a civilian! I agreed with him. I asked the Bixby officer why a civilian from Iowa was walking around Bixby, OK with an open carry Glock on his belt... Sorry I just could not resist that!

Latest posts

Top Bottom