Urban Poultry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is great reading. We just moved to the country and have some land. I told the kids we could get some kind of animal once we're settled in. I fenced approx 1/4 acre of the backyard for our dogs but have a lot more to spare. My dogs (standard poodles) have a very strong prey instinct and would not co-habitate with birds. My daughter wanted peafowl and my son goats. Those were easy no's since they have those at school. We've decided on chickens. Think I'll start planning the coop now and get working on it soon. A tractor would be nice but the back part of my property isn't always level and I do suspect predators will be an issue. Maybe fencing in some additinal yard for them is the better way to go. I'm looking forward to getting this started.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have really enjoyed our chickens so far. Ours seem to be escape artists because there's always somebody getting out somewhere ... However, GC has spoilt them so much that they will go up to just about anybody. Last week one of the neighbors brought one of the girls back home. Apparently she came to him when he called her! LOL This morning I heard a hen making a ruckus and went out to see what was going on. She was on the "wrong" side of the fence, "talking" to the cats, who camp out over there so when I go out in the back in the mornings they can jump the fence and get into the house.

We've found them to be a lot less trouble than I originally thought they'd be ... except for that climbing over the fence part. Guess I'm gonna have to just go ahead and pen them up except when we are outside with them.

All in all they are a hoot! I'm absolutely astounded at how GC has taken to them. Our neighbors call him "The Chicken Whisperer" ... ROFLMAO!

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My wife badly wants some hens. However, we live right smack in the middle of Tulsa and the house next door is about 15 feet too close.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My chicks are 3 weeks old today and got moved outside to their tractor!
gkasper.smugmug.com_photos_i_L9dRs37_0_M_i_L9dRs37_M.jpg

gkasper.smugmug.com_photos_i_6st5W4Q_0_XL_i_6st5W4Q_XL.jpg

Gonna have to keep a close eye on the dog for a while though!

Last edited by a moderator:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife badly wants some hens. However, we live right smack in the middle of Tulsa and the house next door is about 15 feet too close.

I'm at 45th and Yale/Sheridan. I don't think any part of my lawn is outside of the codified distance from my neighbors. I've never measured, but they all seemed pretty cool with it and I try to keep on good terms with them.

Very cool Garand! Looks like they have already taken well to the new home. My two dogs did that for the first few days, but now they've gotten pretty used to them being in their coop in the yard.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a fool proof way to break a dog from killing chickens but it's cruel.If a dog kills a chicken, you beat the dog over the head with the chicken, then wire the dead chicken around the dog's neck. You let the chicken stay there around his neck till he gets tired of it. I did this once when I was a kid so I could keep the dog (it worked). I wouldn't do it again.
More good info that all you chicken people need to bear in mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom