Urban Poultry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've decided on getting 3-4 laying hens would be a good experiment for me and my son and daughter. So I spent the afternoon framing a chicken tractor in my backyard. It's a 4x8 a-frame. I need to build the nest box (incl. a door to snatch eggs), an entry door on one side under the next box, then screen the whole thing in. Here's the progress so far:

542011_10100809118836257_9628959_51904527_155257222_n.jpg

So anyone else here keep chickens, rurally or in an urban backyard? I'm new to all of this but figured "what the hell - why not?!" Any particular breeds you like? Any food recommendations or ways to water them? Any advice would be good. :)

I also live at 46th and Yale. My neighbors will love me I am sure :laugh6:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We've had good success with black sex-links from Atwoods, brown eggs of course and are consistant layers. Are you starting chicks or laying hens?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didnt think you could have livestock in city limits? I also live at 46th and yale and as long as I dont have to hear or smell them I could care less. How old if your son?

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt think you could have livestock in city limits? I also live at 46th and yale and as long as I dont have to hear or smell them I could care less. How old if your son?

As long as you keep them within 50 feet of a neighbors fence, you are allowed to keep up to 6 adult chickens within the city limits.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you keep them within 50 feet of a neighbors fence, you are allowed to keep up to 6 adult chickens within the city limits.

Yup. Here's the city code verbatim:

Code:
Poultry kept in areas not zoned for agriculture shall not exceed six (6) adults and fourteen (14) chicks under the age of eight (8) weeks, and must be kept under the following conditions:

1. The fowl must be kept in a building which at its nearest point is no closer than fifty (50) feet to any adjoining residence;

2. The floors of such building shall be of easily-cleanable construction, and shall be maintained in a sanitary condition not offensive or dangerous to the public health by routinely cleaning and properly disposing of the droppings; and

3. The outside openings of the building shall be screened to prevent the spread of disease by flies and vermin.

I figured I would start from younger hens, maybe find some around 25ish weeks old that have already started laying. I surfed through craigslist and they seemed to run about $10 per bird. Or is there a better approach than this?

My son turned 3 today, actually. My daughter is 16 months old.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 5 red sex-linked hens, I got them from Tractor Supply last year, I had 6, but one got egg bound and died. I keep them in a 14 X 4 chicken tractor I built, there is 10 foot of open run and then a 4 foot house on the end. I average about 4 eggs a day during the spring and summer. Be prepared to move the tractor on a daily basis, as those hens can really tear up some ground. If you do keep the tractor on the move, there won't be much smell from the build up of chicken waste. As long as you keep only hens, there really won't be much of a noise problem, they will cackle when they have laid an egg, but most of the time they are really quiet. I live in the country, so I really don't have to worry what the neighbors think. I hope this helps.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If your in it for the kid experience, the kids with love the chicks, but you wont have eggs until fall. We used to start chicks in February in a stock tank. Now that our kids are older, we just buy the hens. 6 months worth of chick and chicken food adds up.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son turned 3 today, actually. My daughter is 16 months old.

Like I said, As long as I dont have to smell or hear them I could care less. Hell, they couldn't be as loud as all the dogs in the neighborhood.

I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm curious on how well the 3 yr old does with em. My son is getting old enough that a project would do him some good and I love fried chicken.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We keep chickens as well. Just 2 for the moment, but that's plenty of eggs for just my wife and me. They're also a ton of fun to watch. They do each have unique personalities.

Latest posts

Top Bottom