W00T! Built my first complete lower... well... sort of... :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Followed the instructions on ARFCOM and got through most of it pretty well. No major problems, just took my time, and in spite of the pivot detent pinging off into the nether regions of my living room a few times, I was able to locate it each time and got most everything in place.

However, when it came time to install my grip, I found that the screw was a hex head, not a flathead like I expected. Well, I do have a foldable multi-wrech for hex in standard and metric, but unfortunately, the stupid folding tines are not quite long enough to reach into the pistol grip to screw it into the lower. ARGH! So close!

So now I get to go buy a screwdriver with hex head bits that will reach up in there.

I do have more than enough tools, but they are at my "other house" (aka - the one the soon-to-be-ex lives in) and have only a basic socket set here, along with some screwdrivers, a hammer and the punches and roll pin holders I bought for this project. Don't have my nice stuff with me, and likely will never see it again. <sigh>

Oh well... bottom line is, it is NOT that hard, folks. The walkthroughs work well, and if you take your time and reference the pics and instructions, it should be pretty simple. I spent about 60 minutes or so on it, in-between checking the forums, texting friends and several smoke breaks. YOU CAN DO EEEET!!!! I used a Spike's Punisher lower and a RRA LPK, with the grip replaced with a Mako Israeli Defense Forces grip and the springs replaced with the JP Enterprises Reduced Power Spring Kit (JPS3.5). Got the springs, upper, BCG, handguard, and Wilson 24" bull barrel and some tools (blocks and roll pin holders and such) from the cool guys at FBT, the LPK from Patrick (reddog1) and the lowers I think from Mark's Firearms (that's been over a year ago) - thanks to ALL of you guys! Lots of other parts collected in bits and pieces from here in the Classies over time.

Can't wait to get the tool I need and complete the other 4 lowers and LPKs I've got sitting around here. I've got enough parts to complete two full rifles and most of a third - just looking for a decent 16" barrel.

So stop worrying like I have been doing and JUST DO IT!

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I built my first one with almost no issues. It's really not hard. I also did so with almost none of my own tools in the house due to an Ex. I should probably have prefaced this with the fact that I have pretty much Zero mechanical inclination. I'm the kinda guy that pays for his spark plugs, brake pads and even oil to be changed.

Oh yeah, and im pretty sure the Magpul grips use a flathead screw...

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My bubba in me says to see if a flat tip screw driver will fit in diagonal and tighten it up.

Last edited:

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good job!

It's been nearly a year since my first so I'll definitely have to refresh myself on the instructions when I do my next build soon.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's addictive... I've got so damn many parts laying around right now I can't keep them straight, and I'm still surfing looking to buy more! lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom