Weird Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is not really a virus but a hijack attempt based in your browser. If it happens again do just as you did and never call the number, go to the web site, or download 'the fix" they tell you too.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I say I disconnected it, I mean that I physically unplugged the PC from Al Gore's fantastic invention. Simply shutting it off did no good, as it wouldn't let me click the web ioff. Turning the blasted thing off did no god as it came back when I turned it back on. I had to shut the pc off, un-plug the cable and that seemed to work.

Hijack attempt sounds about right.

In any event, it was damned irritating, and until I figured out what was happening, somewhat scary as well.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a RATtrap - a hardware firewall that protects every device on your home network: https://www.myrattrap.com/technology

While a cool device, it doesn't protect someone from a self inflicted issue like the one he is having.

He had to have clicked something that allowed the browser hijack. A firewall won't prevent that.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While a cool device, it doesn't protect someone from a self inflicted issue like the one he is having.

He had to have clicked something that allowed the browser hijack. A firewall won't prevent that.
I agree with his. I inadvertently clicked clicked on something, but what it was, is the $64,000 question. I deleted it from my history. I can see how that might end up less than helpful now.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
W
I agree with his. I inadvertently clicked clicked on something, but what it was, is the $64,000 question. I deleted it from my history. I can see how that might end up less than helpful now.

Wasn't slamming you with my comment, they are very sneaky, they do a good job of making what they are presenting look legit. I'm suspicious of EVERYTHING...

I've coached my wife to be the same way, I've seen some that pop-up that wont allow you to close them without clicking "OK" or "Cancel", either will likely get you hijacked. Instead I go into task manager and kill the browser.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
W

Wasn't slamming you with my comment, they are very sneaky, they do a good job of making what they are presenting look legit. I'm suspicious of EVERYTHING...

I've coached my wife to be the same way, I've seen some that pop-up that wont allow you to close them without clicking "OK" or "Cancel", either will likely get you hijacked. Instead I go into task manager and kill the browser.
Please be assured that I did not take what you said as a slam. Not at all.

And you are quite correct to be suspicious. If I had been a bit more careful, I might not have had the problem.

Darva

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When this kind of stuff happens it's important to be entirely sure, you need to completely reformat your computer
Back up your needed files;
1. External or extra hard drive connected
2. Google drive
3. Dropbox
Reformat your computer.
When reinstalling windows, select the drive that had windows on it and select 'reformat'. Will take a second and the hard drive will be wiped clean.
Select new installation, install.
Hook up the external HD and drag your files back over.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom