What do you mean I CAN'T QUIT??!?!?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Funny thing about overtime.
I worked at a job (it was non-union) where the boss walked in and asked if anybody wanted some overtime.
At first nobody uttered a peep and then one of the newer employees volunteered for it, said needed the money.
All of a sudden some of the more senior employees were raising hell and griping about "Why does so-and-so get all the overtime around here??!!!!!!"
And I was thinking, WTH is wrong with you people...but that's how it was there.
Yep. USPS has 3 overtime desired list or did have. 10 hour, 12 hours, and day off overtime. If sufficient people weren’t available to work the OT it was mandatory and rotated by juniority. Usually during heavy vacation periods in the summer was when the problems happened. A carrier on the 12 hour list got paid double time after 10 or over 60 in a week. Not a bad gig.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny thing about overtime.
I worked at a job (it was non-union) where the boss walked in and asked if anybody wanted some overtime.
At first nobody uttered a peep and then one of the newer employees volunteered for it, said needed the money.
All of a sudden some of the more senior employees were raising hell and griping about "Why does so-and-so get all the overtime around here??!!!!!!"
And I was thinking, WTH is wrong with you people...but that's how it was there.
Same at my job. I volunteered for every hour of overtime I could get no matter the time or day.
Always answered the phone and got there as soon as possible.
Some of the others bitched about me hogging the overtime. The same ones that didn’t answer their phones when it was inconvenient for them.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are exceptions. Working to form a union shop and discriminating is another.
Good points. "Exceptions" always exist, I guess. Trying to form a union shop (without owner consent) is a no-no. As is exercising true discrimination (although 'proving' the intent to discriminate can be an awesomely difficult task) :blush:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. USPS has 3 overtime desired list or did have. 10 hour, 12 hours, and day off overtime. If sufficient people weren’t available to work the OT it was mandatory and rotated by juniority. Usually during heavy vacation periods in the summer was when the problems happened. A carrier on the 12 hour list got paid double time after 10 or over 60 in a week. Not a bad gig.

We had forced overtime, but it was handled as fairly as possible.

Vacation overtime was scheduled a week ahead. Whoever had lowest OFFERED overtime was scheduled. They could turn it down and scheduled next lowest, repeat until accepted.

Call instead had overtime filled same, ask lowest and proceed until filled.

Nobody accepted, lowest was forced.

System worked well and kept it as fair and even as possible.

I worked lots of overtime and always picked up the phone quickly.

Some tried to work the system, but it would eventually bite them.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good points. "Exceptions" always exist, I guess. Trying to form a union shop (without owner consent) is a no-no. As is exercising true discrimination (although 'proving' the intent to discriminate can be an awesomely difficult task) :blush:
LOL, because owners are always going to consent to Unions....I don't think I've literally EVER heard of an owner, board or executive that would give consent to forming a union.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, because owners are always going to consent to Unions....I don't think I've literally EVER heard of an owner, board or executive that would give consent to forming a union.
I know of only one instance, back in the mid-'70s. The CEO of a manufacturing plant down on SW 59th in OKC approved a formal "unionize or not" vote by their employees. The result, twice, was a dead-even 50/50 tie. So (instead of time-consuming 'tie-breaking' efforts) the manufacturing plant was simply divided. A foot-wide yellow stripe was painted down the middle of the building's floor. It was still functioning that way (barely! - there was a lot of trouble with out-of-state union activists) when I left in '83.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
As for me and those that did our jobs, we are doing pretty well on our nice civil service retirements. Kind of wish I’d scammed the VA out of some disability though so I could afford a Rolex or 2.
Pathetic

Just one retirement check will have to do it along with the money I have rolling in from helping OU students learn how to pay off their student loans from those 5 year gender studies degrees.
Didn't you say your retirement is in the 6 digits? That's at a minimum 1/3 more than my retirement and my disability compensation combined. Maybe you should follow your own advice and save some money or get a second job instead of preying on destitute college kids via Dave Ramsey, lol

Then you can get a Rolex or two from your second job like I did. It pays to have a good second career after one retires from serving his/her country.

Latest posts

Top Bottom