What has caused all the earthquakes lately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHat has caused all the quakes?

• Too many OSA members eating beans.

Votes: 26 22.0%
  • We suck all the oil out of the ground and now it's empty down there.

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • God's wrath is starting in the center of the US.

Votes: 24 20.3%
  • The Lib's want all us gun totin hellyuns to fall in a big sink hole.

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • JB is getting things in place for the new world order.

Votes: 42 35.6%

• Total voters

Subsonic

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have the New Madrid fault to the east of here but the smaller ones that run through Oklahoma are named Bush's fault.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am science teacher guys. The Earth is made up of Tectonic Plates. Oceanic plate pushes against Continental plate ALL THE TIME. Meaning that all the plates that make up the crust of the Earth are moving contantly. SLOWLY but still moving. (Some only 1/4 in per year, others as much as 2 inches per year).Eventually enough tension builds up in some of the plates ( or at some point along the plates) that they slip, crack, break or shift. It's just Mother Nature doing her thing. Don't panic... It has been going on for 4.6 billion years.

I do agree with this, but as I recall from school there is no plate line running through the center of OK.

But there are several fault lines.......

Hence the reason I said Plate Lines.

Seems that there may be some disagreement? Who'dathunkit?

If you guys are going to continue to quote me to try and prove me wrong, pay attention to the details. I've highlighted them for your convenience.

FAULT LINES

PLATE BOUNDARIES(LINES)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is not the fracking guys, it is them there secret government underground bases and the thousands of miles of tunnels they are drilling. :D

Hey it makes as much sense as the fracking theory.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you guys are going to continue to quote me to try and prove me wrong, pay attention to the details. I've highlighted them for your convenience.

FAULT LINES

PLATE BOUNDARIES(LINES)

The edges where the plates meet are plate boundaries. It is at these boundries that the eartquakes occur. Now on occasion the plate itself will bend or fold or even break. The term fault lines and plate boundaries are often used interchangeably anymore.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are ALOT fracking sites within about a mile OR LESS of each of the last 20 or so epicenters... just saying.

The kickoffs are also significantly shallower than the quakes. Also, the density of fracked wells is higher in my area (as far as I know), which is also more earthquake prone according to USGS.

You would likely see significant changes in production (positive or negative) by the wells in the area if the quakes were related to fracking.

People say "zomg new faults have been recently discovered" as if it means they didn't already exist and that they are man-made.

The Meers fault has been relatively quiet the last few decades.

If you follow the reports of people feeling the quake, you'll notice that they trend along a line from Meers to New Madrid. It's more likely that you'll feel a quake along a fault system than away from the fault system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom