What is the best overall AR rifle with the lowest $ common denominator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
reliability is an issue with the laminated casings from what ive read.....

LOL wood is laminated not ammo. Some of the wolf and other ruskie ammo had lacquer coating on the case and ppl used that as a crutch because they were using a cheap gun with outa spec chamber or never cleaned it so naturally it wasnt their equipment because it was perfect so that jsut left the ammo.

Ive run thousands of rounds of that lacquered coated ammo and even doing massive mag dumps I have yet to see any cases with melted lacquer or any lacquer in my chambers.

but because ppl were claiming that the lacquer caused issues there are no brands that I know of using it. All of the wolf, brown bear, silver bear, golden tiger, and a few others I cant remember right now, that I have bought and used int he last 2-3 years have not had that coating on the case.

A piston kit won't solve the mag issues on a 5.45 AR either.

True, but im just using the route of buying mags and testing out the ones that dont work.

acelungger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Noober1,
Man you got a lot of good info in this thread! Way to many choices, first off you need to decide what YOUR needs are in a AR rifle. In the title you state AR so that leads me to focus on a AR rifle. Because of there being so many AR's that you can get your hands on. If you don't have the ability to work on your own guns beware of buying a used AR unless you can go to a range and shoot the used AR that you might me looking at. You mentioned a budget, that will cut you out on a lot of the AR's. If you have a friend that is AR savy, you might think about putting toghter a kit gun. I have been playing with AR's for 25 years, I just got threw building 10 AR Car's last week. I was lucky and had a chance to buy some first line AR stripped lowers at a super price. Because I was building these for a person that sells these I had to build them as per his specs. He wanted to build them as cheap as I could, so I shopped around and bought the cheapest kits I could find!! That would not of been my choice if it had been my money, but since it wasn't I did what my friend wanted. He got real LUCKY:bowdown: all of them shot realy good! Not a one of them had a jamming problem:bowdown: Cabelas had DPMS CAR's for $695.00 just the other day they are a good entry level AR, but even those can have problems. You have a lot of choices anywhere from $600.00 -- $1295.00 Don't jump and buy one with out doing some research.
I don't claim to be any type of expert!!! I just have played with them a lot for a long time and if I could be of help to you, feel free to get a hold of me.
ACE

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wolf ammo wouldn't run in my bushmaster. Never tried it in my other two. I stay away from it now. I like the federal 50grain bulk packs from walmart. The powder smells like burnt cat piss but it shoots well. Even out of my 1:7 twist 16" woa barrel.