What to do about neighbors selling drugs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along the lines of what soonerwings said earlier... neighbors selling drugs doesn't harm you and isn't any of your business. The only way it affects you in any way is that there is more traffic going to and from their house, which isn't really your business either, and would happen whether they were selling puppies or heroin. People disturbing you with loud music, trespassing and leaving trash on your property, putting you and your family in danger with their driving, etc., are problems that are separate and distinct from simply selling drugs, and there are ways of dealing with them. The hypothetical issues of the dangers of impaired driving and dangerous drug manufacturing that could put you in danger are also separate and distinct from people simply engaging in voluntary exchange, and if those things were to occur, there are ways of defending yourself from them. But don't conflate these things with simply selling drugs. It is really a reach to assume that since you think someone is selling drugs, they must also be engaged in dangerous drug manufacturing processes. A very low percentage of dealers also manufacture. As far as the comments about drug related drive-bys going on in upper class white neighborhoods, it sounds like some of y'all are getting your knowledge of the drug trade from movies like "Scarface." In my experience, drug dealers usually keep a low profile, and go out of their way to avoid causing drama with the neighbors and whatnot, for obvious reasons.

Sounds to me like the OP just needs to go have a chat with the folks at this house about the issues that he has with them and the folks who visit them.

This is the problem with lawyers, they think too much like lawyers. If I needed a defense attorney I'd call you. If I needed my neighborhood problems cleaned up I'd probably call the Orkin man instead....

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because having kids changes your perspective on a lot of things. Spoken from the heart as a man who never wanted children...

Kinda-sorta. Just the whole "danger to kids" aspect. Guaranteed if I thought someone was dealing enough in my neighborhood to put me, my kids or my property at risk, I would be doing something about it. Starting small, as mentioned above, like having a few simple conversations, then involving law enforcement and potentially other options discussed above. I'll leave it at that.

I understand this. However alcohol is regulated and kids still get alcohol. Until the dealer approaches my child it's not my problem. I have nieces and nephews, I feel the same about them if thy aren't being harmed I'm cool with it, the second someone tries to corrupt them it's over.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Along the lines of what soonerwings said earlier... neighbors selling drugs doesn't harm you and isn't any of your business. The only way it affects you in any way is that there is more traffic going to and from their house, which isn't really your business either, and would happen whether they were selling puppies or heroin. People disturbing you with loud music, trespassing and leaving trash on your property, putting you and your family in danger with their driving, etc., are problems that are separate and distinct from simply selling drugs, and there are ways of dealing with them. The hypothetical issues of the dangers of impaired driving and dangerous drug manufacturing that could put you in danger are also separate and distinct from people simply engaging in voluntary exchange, and if those things were to occur, there are ways of defending yourself from them. But don't conflate these things with simply selling drugs. It is really a reach to assume that since you think someone is selling drugs, they must also be engaged in dangerous drug manufacturing processes. A very low percentage of dealers also manufacture. As far as the comments about drug related drive-bys going on in upper class white neighborhoods, it sounds like some of y'all are getting your knowledge of the drug trade from movies like "Scarface." In my experience, drug dealers usually keep a low profile, and go out of their way to avoid causing drama with the neighbors and whatnot, for obvious reasons.

Sounds to me like the OP just needs to go have a chat with the folks at this house about the issues that he has with them and the folks who visit them.

Ditto.

Sent from my meh, using my meh.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People have no right to run a business that disturbs the peace by generating noise, customer traffic, etc.
(legal or otherwise), out of a residential property as far as I'm concerned. It's just that simple.

As long as I don't harm you or anyone else'd rights; I have the right to run any business I want at any location I want.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me I would find out what they were selling. If it was heroine I would become a buyer. Just kidding. I would probably just do nothing. Unless they were bringing danger around. Then it would be a different story. I know drug dealers. It doesn't bother me. It's their life.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People have no right to run a business that disturbs the peace by generating noise, customer traffic, etc.
(legal or otherwise), out of a residential property as far as I'm concerned. It's just that simple.

And this is why I won't move to these totalitarian regimes we call a "city".

Sent at a speed of 3*10^8 meters per second via Tapatalk.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Customer traffic is not an issue, but noise and disturbing the peace is, what if your favorite FFL happened to be a home based business? Mine is and I know he generates lots of traffic at times in his neighborhood.

And this is why I won't move to these totalitarian regimes we call a "city".

Sent at a speed of 3*10^8 meters per second via Tapatalk.

This is why I don't live in a neighborhood with an HOA.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way to read my post in the most moronic way possible. I did not say you were required to move, you can stay where you are if you want. Is he currently harming you? If so how? If he is not harming you and you don't like what he's doing then move. Why should he move because you don't like him or his habits? It's the same thing as saying I don't like doctors or what they do that doctor next door needs to move. The fact that what he is doing is illegal has nothing to do with it.

The meth cooker has every right to live where he pleases just like you do. If you don't like where you live move, people do it all the time.

God your an idiot. :blahblah::rolleyes2

Latest posts

Top Bottom