What was your first employment (real job) ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Electricians helper. When my dad was hurt I dropped out of school to help the family and when he was better I could not bring myself to go back. Got a mail order GED while in the service.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first job was pearl diver for my aunts restaurant. For those that don't know what a pearl diver is, I was a dish washer.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1974, Shakey's Pizza Parlor on NW 39th in OKC. Even though I was just a sophmore in high school and didn't even have a drivers license I was the "beertender". Worked evening and weekends. Made $1.45 an hour plus tips. I had never even tasted beer before then. How that was all legal I never knew. Cool, fun place to work.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I worked more hrs one summer at a grainary just out of high school before starting college than most anybody does all year. We put a thermometer on a rail car one day I was loading it read 125 with grain dust caked on us. They don't load cars like that anymore. Ugh and scooping out the pits from last yrs grain all fermented.

With that said I had worse part time jobs than real jobs by far op. I hated sacking grocery the most.

Jace

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HEY CULLIGAN MAN! Full time, Coronado, Calif 1976, then after my 8 hours were up, I worked 4 hours each evening in a pro color lab printing photos

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like me too. My dad was a carpenter as well as all my uncles. The only thing I was certain of when I got out of high school was I did NOT want to be a carpenter.Never say never, for the last thirty five years I've been in residential construction of some form or other.

That's why went to work in paint and carpet, inside with a/c; move to the dark side. Major in business. 3 yrs and got out.

Retired at 50, Mom wanted her kitchen cabinets refinished. In the middle of doing the cabinets, she decided I needed to paint the kitchen and living room. Well, since that was painted, should go ahead and paint the 3 bedrooms. Almost finished, but the 2 baths and den may as well paint them. So I through, no not quite, she got new window blinds and kitchen flooring. Oh, by the way, the closet door in the bedroom is small and makes it hard to get to the back corner, so put some of those 6' bifold doors in.

After 4 weeks finally finished. Mom's cousin comes to visit and goes on and on about how things look. She says, "you know there's a lot of widows and older couples around town who need work done an want somebody they can trust, you could keep pretty busy." I told her, I've tried working for old widow wimmens, think I'll pass."

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grew up farming. First paying job was farm hand for a neighbor up the road when I was 14. I'd ride my dirtbike to his place everyday during summer at 6am. Worked until sunset. Worked for him full-time/year round after high-school while I went to college. Never got a raise, never asked for one, loved every miserable day of it. He used to let me duct tape flares to cheap liquor bottles and shoot 'em. That was our celebration for another good wheat harvest when we burned the remnants off.

I miss my 8770

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Worked the counter then cooked af Griff's Burgers in HS, evenings and weekends just off 21st and Shariden in Tulsa. They wre 15 cents back then. Sold several hundreds on Wednesday evenings with the 10 cent special, people lined up to the street, cooking 48 at a time about every 7 minutes. This was before McDonalds came to Tulsa. I think I started at .75/hour. Moved up to $1.00 pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom