What was your first vehicle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1963.5 Galaxie, like this one, same color but with a 390. biggest POS I've ever owned. actually received a letter from AAA saying I should consider getting a different car. owned car 7 mos. and was on a wrecker 8 times! spent enough on this car could have paid cash for it's replacement

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1965 Pontiac GTO
I don't remember it, but my dad had a '67 (IIRC) GTO. He bought it because he'd just graduated from OU and was about to get drafted, and he wanted my mom to have a reliable car. It turned out that the company that hired him got him a deferment, which was a good thing, as that GTO was, in his words, the biggest POS he ever owned. It excelled at leaving them stranded--it could pass anything but a gas station or a mile marker... Dad did not shed a single tear when he traded it off, and you couldn't give him another Pontiac or get him to talk to a Pontiac dealer thereafter (he had really bad experiences with the Pontiac dealerships where he tried to get help with that car, plus, IIRC, he said the dealer where he bought the car had rolled back the odometer).

The first car I bought was a well-abused '78 T-Bird. It used almost as much oil as gasoline and the stereo I put in it cost as much as what I paid for the car itself, but I had a lot of fun in it. I still have it, although it has had many of its useful parts cannibalized for other vehicles over the years.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about the worst car you ever owned.

For myself, it was a 1973 Ford Capri.

I purchased this new at 17 years of age and the local bank wrote the note without a co-signer.

This car was junk after 34,000 miles. I could not keep the points from burning up or the plug wires from going bad. On a rainy night you could see the glow of spark along the plug wires. I replaced them multiple times.

Of course, being a teenager I drove the car hard.

It was a pretty thing when it was new.

Even now, on a rare occasion I will have dreams about that car.

I traded the Ford Capri for a 1975 Ford 1/2 ton pickup that was not much better than the Capri.

I swore I would never purchase a new car or a Ford ever again and didn't purchase a new vehicle for next 25 years.

I am still not a Ford fan and have owned a few since then.

Flame away!
mercury-capri-1973-10-1336751927.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first was a 55 Ford custom line with the Y block 272 C.I. Had a grand total of 3000+ miles on it. Came from an estate.
Three speed manual on the tree with a single barrel side draft carb. Drove it all the way to my only year in college and getting married.
It had a ton of mods on it, being used as a street racer mainly. My speeding ticket resume reflected that use.
When heading for the military with a kid on the way, sold it, and bought the wife a 58 Ford Fairlane with lo miles to drive.

IMG_2117.jpeg

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
'66 Chevell...when mom got a new car when I turned 16. Dad paid $500 for it and had new vinyl interior put in. Radio didn't work and the wipers only moved as fast as the car was going. On slick roads during snow & ice I had to roll down the window to see ahead. There was a lot of ice and snow that winter. Otherwise it was a great car. Learned to drive in Dads '65 Chevy pickup with 3 on the tree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom