Where do atheists get their morality?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Asked this question of another group I'm in and got a great Darwinian response.

Evolution. Our ethics are an evolved behavior same as a dog circling its bed. We just think they're special because our intelligence gives us hubris.

Those of us with an empathy behavior apparently succeeded as social creatures much better than those without. We bred more, so there are more of us, so we win. That empathy behavior forms the basis of the one near-universal ethical principle: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Our biological drive for survival forms the basis of our other, corollary ethical principle: do unto others before they do unto you.
That meshes nicely with the video I posted.

HonkyTonkHale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I openly profess that I am a Christian so I do not have to wonder where my morals come from. If I were an atheist, I would have to believe that whatever created us (even if it were just luck of the universe aligning properly to form life) that every person came from the same place. If we all came from the same point of origin, I do not think it would be surprising that we share many of the same characteristics. As a general rule (although there are always exceptions), we all have two eyes, two ears, two legs, and a consience and morality. Some people may be born without all of these characteristics, but that is outside the norm. We all choose what we do with our lives after we are old enough for rational thought.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I openly profess that I am a Christian so I do not have to wonder where my morals come from. If I were an atheist, I would have to believe that whatever created us (even if it were just luck of the universe aligning properly to form life) that every person came from the same place. If we all came from the same point of origin, I do not think it would be surprising that we share many of the same characteristics. As a general rule (although there are always exceptions), we all have two eyes, two ears, two legs, and a consience and morality. Some people may be born without all of these characteristics, but that is outside the norm. We all choose what we do with our lives after we are old enough for rational thought.

No one is born with a conscience or morality. It has to be developed. After the age of about 6, if a person has not developed a conscience, they never will. They become sociopaths. Morality is a part of a conscience. Having a conscience allows a person to develop good moral behavior.

Woody

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one is born with a conscience or morality. It has to be developed. After the age of about 6, if a person has not developed a conscience, they never will. They become sociopaths. Morality is a part of a conscience. Having a conscience allows a person to develop good moral behavior.

Woody

[citation neeed]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And how do you administer that to infants and small children?

I don't have the study at hand, but Its been reported that infants develop their personality by the age of two. Totally dependent on their parents and surroundings.

I have no back up other than second hand testimonials of people that are successful that came from low income, minority communities that have made it big time.

Their parents always encouraged them to try to achieve higher goals, and went out of their way to make sure the kids did not get involved in "street communities"

Kids can be molded by their parents IMHO.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone ever actually failed an MMPI? IIRC, it's still pencil/color in the ABCD circles.

"Do plants make you angry?"
"Do you despise your mother?"

Latest posts

Top Bottom