Why Are Addresses So Hard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the other hand, FedEx had a package addressed to our old rural route number that went away 20+ years ago. The package still got here, delayed 1 day.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Texas City has the streets numbered. The east west hwy coming into starts South 1st Avenue to the south. North 1st Avenue to the north. The main north south street divides East 1st Blvd and West 1st Blvd. My friend lived on the southwest corner of South 6th Ave and West 6th Blvd.

Total cluster frac
Columbus, Mississippi is like that. There's an old residential grid where the north-south roads are Avenues and the east-west roads are Streets (or maybe it's the other way around). Anyway, the northernmost street is 1st and the westernmost avenue is 1st, and they increment to the south and west, so you get the corner of 1st St and 1st Ave, 2nd St and 2nd Ave, 3rd St and 3rd Ave, and so on.

I thought that was bad until I saw Tulsa's "spaghetti art" mess of streets, avenues, and so on.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ours started out as N/S were numbered Ave and east/west being streets with the north side of town being tree names and the south side being states but then they started letting new housing developments come in and run the streets every which way and putting all kinds of names on them.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Grand in OKC.
I'm pretty sure Grand Blvd intersects with itself, so you have be careful while driving it, or you might just run into yourself.

FWIW, my dad told me that Grand was from the days before the interstates, and it was designed as a loop around OKC, so you could take it to get to pretty much any part of the city.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Addresses are assigned by the city or county. Don’t get me started on 911 addressing. Depending on the county, some of them have no clue.
I remember a time delivering in Blanchard... they had 3 different systems of addresses. RR box numbers, 911 addresses, then County street/county road addresses.

I get people don't like stuff misdelivered, but when you have 200 deliveries( more so on the USPS side), mistakes can happen. Sorry Jason, I too live on a terrace and I get others and others get mine.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas City has the streets numbered. The east west hwy coming into starts South 1st Avenue to the south. North 1st Avenue to the north. The main north south street divides East 1st Blvd and West 1st Blvd. My friend lived on the southwest corner of South 6th Ave and West 6th Blvd.

Total cluster frac

My in-laws used to live on 13th Ave N in TC, TX….

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oughta check out all the "Peachtree" shinola in Atlanta!! There' like 50 different "Peachtree" derivatives in that CF............
A friend told me that when he was living in Houston in the '80s, the city council passed an ordinance prohibiting developers from using "quail" in the street names in their developments because there were already so many variations on that theme.

Latest posts

Top Bottom