windows 8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i like it. bought it on toshiba touch screen , they must of had touch in mind.

of course i'm not one of the millions of minions, being able to make my own mind up, iphone and droid don't entice me . i carry and use windows phone, love the movement and the minimalist approach . so the system was made for me , go back to your pads and roids . lol

elance

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a touch screen and no keyboard it may be fine. . . that is what it was designed for, right? But for a regular keyboard mouse operation it is a failure.

For the ones who do hate it and could take a rubber mallet to the person who forced metro on you try this http://www.classicshell.net/

There are some other fixes here http://lifehacker.com/5955755/how-t...st-annoyances-and-make-it-more-like-windows-7 But I do have to say VLC isn't my choice for a media player, I use media player classic and the klite codec pack that includes it which is standard or better. No screens trying to sell you something no media stores just simply works.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like it either, as I have mentioned in another thread. I'm using it on a laptop that does not have a touch screen, and I have the same problems with mousing over the screen and bringing up crap that I don't want. I find that it makes using the built in mouse almost impossible, so I have to use a wireless mouse. I have been using windows since the 90's and I think this is the worst of the Windows versions. I hate it!!!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's worse than Vista imo. Very frustrating and hard to navigate through. I will be springing for a Mac soon.

I thought the 8.1 patch brought the classic shell back? I'm still running 7 pro because I don't want to kick in for licensing to go to 8. I've heard from lot's of power users that like it, several of the software engineers at a couple of conferences I have been too in the past year really like it after doing the classic shell. I personally like that Microsoft is changing their app development licensure and forcing everyone to run applications sandboxed now. . . kinda like another OS which I really like. I'm planning on grabbing an OEM license in a few months and upgrading my big gaming rig.

YMMV.

I do love my MB pro running OSX Mavericks but when it comes down to brass tacks for my job in a windows centric environment I have to have a windows machine. I run one on a VM, and I have my drive boot camped for 7 as well to game since my game doesn't have an OSX client.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly think the biggest problem with Windows 8 is that it has a pretty steep learning curve. People are generally pretty lazy and don’t want to learn new things. Sorry, Haters are gonna hate.. My very young kiddos can figure it out just fine. This part reminds me of the Henry Ford quote: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

Wait…. No flames just yet I also think:

• Microsoft really dropped the ball by trying to force the metro interface down the entire world’s throat.
• Not including native out of the box support for DVD playback by leaving out a tiny $2 license fee for MPEG-2 codec and Dolby audio codecs is another major fail.
• Defending this decision by claiming it would not be fair to tablet users with no onboard CD/DVD is laughable.
• Something in the metro name, forcing it and supporting to the least common denominator sure smells like the color brown or DNC to me?

Business as a whole has pretty much spoken and stayed with Windows 7. Microsoft may pick up business customers on the next pass just like nobody in business really adopted WindowsME or Vista. Like it or not new hardware not supporting older operating systems will make this happen sooner than later anyway.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With 8.1 just turn it off. You don't need Classic Shell to do that.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 112

Latest posts

Top Bottom