Would you consider this bad manners?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or am I just being too picky? I went to Lexington range to shoot today. There was an individual there already. I walked up to the table to shoot and the other gentleman proceeded to fire several times. I DID NOT have any ear protection on. I started to dig in my range bag, and found my ears, and immediately put them on. I was only there a short time and while packing up my gear the other individual proceed/continued to fire. Once again I had packed my ear protection up and was heading back to my vehicle. I lived.... no autopsy, no foul right? But do you think a little courtesy should have been shown here? Just wondering what you guys and gals think.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, I don't consider it bad manners. It's an outdoor range...I am always ready with eyes and ears as soon as I get out of the car and until I get back in it.

Everyone shouldn't have to stop shooting and wait everytime someone new rolls up or packs up to leave. Courtesy is a two way street right?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's kind of like an indoor range...as soon as you go through the door to the firing line you need to have eyes and ears on right? Consider your car the range door. Once you get out of it, you are on the range.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're going to be mad at me......but, no, I don't consider this bad manners.

** Let me give you an example** When you go to H&H or any other indoor range....you put on your protection before you go into the room of live fire. Take it off, after you leave the room. Your responsibility.

**Outdoor ranges....I always put on my hearing/eye protection in the truck or before I locked it up and walked toward the range. Once again, MY responsibility.

Unless you have a shooting buddy or are alone, what is the signal for all clear/stop firing with a stranger??

Always "take on" the responsibility and there should be no questions!!

Let me leave you with this....when you enter a boxing ring...be prepared to fight....defend yourself at ALL times.

Cohiba

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were in the shooter's position when you pulled up I would have stopped shooting and greeted you. It would be part common courtesy and part checking you out a little to see if I need to pack up and ease on back to the house. I've met some really nice, ethical, safe sportsmen & women @ Lex, but I've run across a bunch who make the hair on my neck stand up.

Cedar Creek

kgoodrich

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would have to agree that soon as you get out of your truck to have your protection on and normaly i will sit in my truck a little bit to guage other people on the range if there are any just to get a feel for the mood and to see if I have happend upon some twits having a good time that might just get me killed. Dont get me wrong ive never really had a problum at the lex range and I too have met some cool people and even met people with bigger or much more diffrent guns than what ive been shooting and had both partys interested in the others arms and traded guns for a couple shots. Met a nice guy that was shooting a lever action 45/70 which had a much bigger bang then the fn/fal i was poping rounds with. All in all a gun range open or not Is just like the streets or wallmart you have the regulers, the prissys, and the jerks who don't care about anyone or anything but them self. Always use caution and good judgement as a first rule! Prepaire for any situation to the best of your abillities, thats number two. number three If you dont feel safe go to a diffrent part of the range or smoke a cig and wait around for some place to open up and if they are that bad hope you have enough time to duck!

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I felt safe there. The guy was exhibiting really good range safety. I don't know... I always stop and greet the folks showing up, then wait till they are ready go before I start shooting again. Like I said, that's just me. Thanks for your input guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom