You can now get your OK SDA training online...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://onlinehandgun.training/

I don't know how many are aware, it surprisingly didn't make the news, but last Nov, the option for online training passed. While you can take the class online, you still have to do the range qualification. I imagine it was for reciprocity reasons. The online course did have to be approved by CLEET, and so far, this appears to be the only one. When I spoke to OSBI, they didnt even realize that one had gone live, expecting CLEET to notify them when one did. There are also now 3 versions of your training certificate. One if the instructor did the range portion, one for both, and one for the classroom portion. The link I posted is $80, and I don't know if there is an additional charge for the range, or how that works. OSBI obviously doesnt either. What are your guys thoughts?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing it was trying to keep people from getting non-resident permits online, but those are fewer and fewer, especially since a lot of states wont issue a non-res if you live in a permitting state. I dont think that the legislature realizes it wasnt the fact you had to be in attendance for the training, but the cost and turnaround in OK is why those few that did, went that route.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I'd like to know who is running that website and where the money goes. I'd also like to see confirmation from OSBI that they accept certificates from this mystery entity.

The website in the OP has several red flags that would make me hesitant to give them any money or info.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I talked to the guy that started this, We had a pretty heated discussion for about 25-30 minutes. He started the conversation with " My dad is a DA out here in western Oklahoma" He receives all the money himself then if an SDA instructor sends him business he will so kindly send him $10.00 back, it's a long story but after a few phone calls to other states I am betting that if Oklahoma recognizes these classes that can be done by a spouse, friend kid etc... instead of the actual applicant that a lot of states will no longer reciprocate with Oklahoma. You still have to go to an SDA instructor to Qualify on the range and pay them their fee which will still be 25.00-35.00. I prefer properly trained people carry and not someone who takes an online class or has someone else take it for them, By the way, he swore he had ways to keep someone else from taking the class for another and I shot that down so fast it was incredible, He was stuttering like Mel Tillis ! And YES, I am an SDA instructor and a damn good one too, I invested a lot of time into learning how to be the best at what I do and really want the best for Oklahomans.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I talked to the guy that started this, We had a pretty heated discussion for about 25-30 minutes. He started the conversation with " My dad is a DA out here in western Oklahoma" He receives all the money himself then if an SDA instructor sends him business he will so kindly send him $10.00 back, it's a long story but after a few phone calls to other states I am betting that if Oklahoma recognizes these classes that can be done by a spouse, friend kid etc... instead of the actual applicant that a lot of states will no longer reciprocate with Oklahoma. You still have to go to an SDA instructor to Qualify on the range and pay them their fee which will still be 25.00-35.00. I prefer properly trained people carry and not someone who takes an online class or has someone else take it for them, By the way, he swore he had ways to keep someone else from taking the class for another and I shot that down so fast it was incredible, He was stuttering like Mel Tillis ! And YES, I am an SDA instructor and a damn good one too, I invested a lot of time into learning how to be the best at what I do and really want the best for Oklahomans.
Right on brother!!

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have confirmed with OSBI that they do. This site had to be approved by CLEET for that to happen. They do provide a seperate certificate for instructor who does range portion, indicating that's all he's approving.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The guy doing the online training is Austin Boring. I talked to him for about 30 min. a couple of nights ago. My biggest concern is someone taking the test for a friend and not be the person that I end up with on the range. He has safe guards in place to prevent this from happening. I think with some effort it could still happen. I got a letter from Cleet when this was approved last Nov. and called them about it. The lady there knew of it but , couldn't tell me anything about it. She just didn't know. I think most instructors like me think that here is a guy waltzing in with a plan to reap profits from a system that we helped build and keep going. Money is the reason for most businesses starting up . From what I got from talking with Austin , I 'm really not sure it is going to hurt the regular instructors any. The only advantage of taking it on line is convenience. You can start and stop the training as you like. You still have to go to the range like before with one of us to do the shooting. How many people will pay $79 bucks to take a 6 hr. online course and the pay $30 to $40 for the range part. I'm trying to keep an open mind about. Like most people , I don't like change. Feb. 14th makes 20 years the wife and I have been teaching the SDA. He welcomes input from other instructors . Call him and talk to him about your concerns. His phone number is 580-461-9265. He said he would send me a link to view the online training and I could judge it for myself.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing the content of the course.

A question for the SDA instructors here. How often does someone fail your training class?

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't realize the $60 cap had been lifted. A quick look at the legislative history shows the cap went away on 2 April 2014.

I learn something new every day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom