1% tip, on expensive lunch. **and my rant on pay, gratuity, and salary jobs**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Can't guarantee a full section the whole shift, most will only have a few tables the first hour or two and same for the last hour or two. They will be cleaning, doing side or busy work for 3 an hour. Also, most restaurants only allow their server to have a 3-4 table section, but use the teamwork concept, ie help take food to other tables, refills etc., on top of that, the tip out a percentage to the busboys, bartenders, hostesses, and some times for silverware rolling etc based on sales. So if you have a 100 tab, and tip 5 bucks, they tip the bar and hostess staff 3 whether they did anything or not, so you just left em 2 bucks.... Start tipping better.

Instead of tipping better, maybe, just maybe, the restaurant should stop taking tips from the wait staff making 2 bucks an hour and giving them to someone making over 7 bucks an hour. This practice is one of the reasons I tip a few bucks on the receipt and throw another 5 bucks or so in cash. I hope they keep the cash under the table.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in NYC a few weeks ago and a lot of restaurants there are doing away with tipping. The food was way more expensive tho than it should have been with tipping.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About a year ago I started tipping the way I should have been for a long time now. 15-20% is the regular. Especially where my wife and I dine regularly. It has been eye opening how much better our service has been over the last year in the restaurants we visit regularly. I see it is respecting the waiter/waitress. 99% of the time, it results in far better service.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Red River last week, We ate at Capo's Italian. Just two couples with separate checks. We noticed they included 18% to the tab automatically. Some might have missed that and added more.
Personally, the food was great, the service was great, and I would have tipped them 20%, but since they seemed to be happy with 18%, that's what they got.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't tip more than $5 for any meal. We don't ever spend more than $50 max on a meal. If I had my way we would eliminate waiters entirely. I'm perfectly capable of getting my own drinks and food. Maybe keep them at higher-end restauraunts.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. I just hope the "waiter" does not have AIDS or some other disease.
2. I also hope the "waiter" gets his butt kicked--legally and financially.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/04/man-noticed-something-utterly-disgusting-in-his-drink-after-poor-service-at-chilis-that-had-police-getting-involved/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Firewire&utm_campaign=Firewire%20-%20HORIZON%206-4-15%20FINAL
Man Noticed Something Utterly Disgusting in His Drink After Poor Service at Chili’s That Had Police Getting Involved
Jun. 4, 2015 11:44am - Mike Opelka

PS---I do tip unless the service is bad.

Which one was the lib dem?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead of tipping better, maybe, just maybe, the restaurant should stop taking tips from the wait staff making 2 bucks an hour and giving them to someone making over 7 bucks an hour. This practice is one of the reasons I tip a few bucks on the receipt and throw another 5 bucks or so in cash. I hope they keep the cash under the table.
In most cases, those employees make $2 an hour as well, hence the tipout. The tipout is based on a percentage of their sales, in most cases, not in their tips, doesnt matter if they made $100 in tips, or $200 in tips. So if a waiter does 1k in sales that night, the restaurant automatically adds $30 to what gets paid out to the restaurant at the end of the shift ($1030 now going to the restaurant), then the restaurant pays that out to the busboys/bartenders/hostesses.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did anyone read the link I posted? It said the customer only told the waiter(Gregory Lamica) that there were missing potato chips and undercooked food and they also said that they were not rude to the waiter. When they asked for a refill on the soda, that is when the waiter brought back the "to-go cup" with his loogie deposited in it. When the customer and his wife left the Chili's they said that they also left a tip for the waiter(how much(?)). So why did they waiter(Gregory Lamica), take it out on the couple? It sounds like couples complaint was directed at Chili's and not at the waiter. I admit there could be more to the story than was told in the article and that there are bunghole customers that like to make life miserable for waiters/waitresses/other people, but I didn't get that in the article. That is also the reason that I said that the waiter(Gregory Lamica)needed his butt kicked--legally and financially. Why didn't Lamica just take a whizz in is bosses coffee and be done with it?:anyone::rolleyes2

One last question, did anyone read the comments that were give after the article? Sounds like some of the people on this forum and the comments came from two completely different articles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom