Alcohol cravings and getting it under control.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ate a lot more chocolate when I quit, went through a lot of those miniature candy bars. I really never had much of a sweet tooth prior to that. Orange juice was pretty good too, especially in the first 30 days.
That was about 15 years ago, I revisited it a couple more times and decided it was still not something I ought to mess with, didn’t have to go crazy with the sweets those times though because they were both pretty brief “experiments”, lol. Good luck man!

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lose alcohol for good. For the wrong people (like you) it’s like cancer. No one said they have cancer and want to beat most of it, but keep a little around for fun. It is a health issue. Diabetes hbp, liver disease, arteriosclerosis you name it alcohol makes it happen more frequently and more severely.
you made some goals but you need longer term goals not just a couple months.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Water fasting ... Try the 72-hour rolling fast.

I was like you and the wife. Enjoyed a drink or 2 nearly every evening. Thought I might have a problem because I did have a problem in college and quite cold turkey for several years. Anyway, I started pain management and they frown on drinking. You know the only time I crave a drink?? The week before my monthly appointment to see the PA. 🤷 I told him about it a couple months ago and he laughed and said "You are the most unaddicted person I know!! But you sure don't like being told what to do!" 😂😂😂

The thing is you have to be brutally honest with yourself. Nobody else can tell you whether you actually have a problem or not. They can only tell you what it looks like to them based on their own life experiences. Only other thing I'll say is this -- until you figure it out for yourself it's best to err on the side of caution.

There is a cardiologist on YouTube who believes sugar/flour/alcohol/drugs all trigger the same processes in the brain. I'll find go find his channel for you.
They all spike insulin and make your body insulin tolerant. Then the fun begins. Neuropathy, foggy mind, type 2 diabetes, metformin by the case

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another odd detail I forgot about..I drank a lot of La Croix or other seltzer waters for a while the last couple times..they’re cold, refreshing, not too sweet and while it’s not a beer it was a surprisingly good substitute for me, especially while cooking out or something when I’d typically drink some beer. I still like that stuff!

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, my name is holechit and I have an alcohol problem. Could use some advice and support. I used to have a bit of a dependence issue with alcohol, but I’ve beat a lot of it. I have come to realize that I do still drink too much. The old lady and I have decided to completely eliminate alcohol from our lives for at least a month, but have discussed extending things out an extra month or two. My end goal is not to completely give up alcohol, but to lose some weight and get back to where I can sit down and have a drink or two and catch a buzz.

I am only 3 days into not drinking and man, I am dealing with some cravings. With this I am also cutting down on my sugar and carb intake, and man am I craving any kind of sugar or alcohol I can get my hands on. Any tips on battling this? Any tips on this process as a whole? I would like to come out of this next 1-3 months healthier, with the ability to enjoy one of my favorite vices, without things getting out of hand again.
HoLeChit,
Been where you are, got the t-shirt. there is No easy way my friend, No tune upin a can. Look at it this way, "You can't steal second with your foot on first". Please understand, I am NOT making light of your current situation. What you're attempting is not easy at all. Give you and your wife at least 6 weeks off the sauce and if you can do that you're ahead. If not seek professional help. Alcohol is the most efficient sugar delivery mechanism to your system and extremely addictive. I wish you all the luck in the world on your battle and am here to tell you you're not the first to fall, nor last, to this and not the first or last to defeat it...but...YOU CAN DO IT.

Latest posts

Top Bottom