Any recommendations on driving route to Orlando...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapcon1941

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
USS Alabama is off I-10 in Mobile. Battleship park also has a B-52 parked as well as many other interesting exhibits. Easy-off and easy-on for highway. Nice diversion and chance to stretch your legs.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKC to MEM on I 40, head south on US78 (actually an Interstate across MS to just outside of Birmingham) to Montgomery. US 82 south of Montgomery to I 75 @ Tifton, GA. I 75 S to FL TNPK to Orlando. Made Lake City, FL from LIT in one day. It's about 5-6 hours to MCO from Lake City.

Coastal route: I 35 S to I 20 W to Jackson, MS then US 49 to Hattiesburg, MS. Pick up US 98 (Gulf Coast HWY) thru Mobile, Gulf Shores, P'cola, P City, Port St. Joe, and Perry, Fl. US 19/98 to Weeki Wachee then FL 50 @ Brooksville to Ocoee then Toll 429 if you are headed to Mickeyland or 50 takes you downtown MCO.

Either way takes you through some cool small towns.

kirkmuck1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty nice park, and the battleship is worth going thru, Thet also have a WW II siu you can go through.
But the fastest way is thru Birmingham, stay away from Atlanta!!!! They're freak'n nuts
USS Alabama is off I-10 in Mobile. Battleship park also has a B-52 parked as well as many other interesting exhibits. Easy-off and easy-on for highway. Nice diversion and chance to stretch your legs.

kirkmuck1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was supposed to be SUB, WWII Sub. The ole hunt and peck method just doesn't always work out!
Pretty nice park, and the battleship is worth going thru, Thet also have a WW II siu you can go through.
But the fastest way is thru Birmingham, stay away from Atlanta!!!! They're freak'n nuts

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKC to MEM on I 40, head south on US78 (actually an Interstate across MS to just outside of Birmingham) to Montgomery. US 82 south of Montgomery to I 75 @ Tifton, GA. I 75 S to FL TNPK to Orlando. Made Lake City, FL from LIT in one day. It's about 5-6 hours to MCO from Lake City.

Coastal route: I 35 S to I 20 W to Jackson, MS then US 49 to Hattiesburg, MS. Pick up US 98 (Gulf Coast HWY) thru Mobile, Gulf Shores, P'cola, P City, Port St. Joe, and Perry, Fl. US 19/98 to Weeki Wachee then FL 50 @ Brooksville to Ocoee then Toll 429 if you are headed to Mickeyland or 50 takes you downtown MCO.

Either way takes you through some cool small towns.

I'm in the middle of a trip that used the route above (stopping in Montgomery overnight) to get to MCO. Currently doing the return trip with some downtime in the middle by going to Kennesaw GA for the Southern Museum of the Civil War and Railroading and some golf in Muscle Shoals AL. Closing out thru MEM to TUL.

If you are a fan of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives, I recommend a stop at the Marietta Diner in Marietta GA. Ate there last night - great food!

flowers

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys, we are just coming up on Memphis. I think we are going to head to Birmingham, is the US82 a decently paced highway or would the ATL route be quicker...? Just looking for the fastest way to get there, will definitely take one of the other more "sight-seeing" routes back, that battleship park sounds pretty cool.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys, we are just coming up on Memphis. I think we are going to head to Birmingham, is the US82 a decently paced highway or would the ATL route be quicker...? Just looking for the fastest way to get there, will definitely take one of the other more "sight-seeing" routes back, that battleship park sounds pretty cool.

Your fastest route to Birmingham is US 78 out of Memphis. I don't see US 82 as a route there on MapQuest. Anything through ATL is never quicker.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I think the Nashville to ATL route is quicker, but I've only done the Memphis to Birmingham method one time and I didn't enjoy it. Too many stoplights (who puts a stoplight on a highway anyway?) and confusing turns. It's been about 5 or 6 years since I took that route though... maybe things have gotten better. Once you get to Birmingham, you can wind through the little roads again down to the coast or just pop on over to Atlanta on the interstate.

flowers

Marksman
Reaction score
Well we left last night at 7pm cst and got here just a bit ago at 3:25pm cst, so 1176 miles in less than 20.5 hrs straight. That was a pretty awful drive! We took 82 to 75, pretty slow, look forward to taking a different suggested route back and enjoy it a bit. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom