Anybody else working cattle this Spring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Certainly enjoyed hearing it all. Thanks for sharing! I would have loved to have been there to watch!
Thanks! I'll try to remember you said you wanted to help when it comes time next year! There's always weaning and shipping in the late summer/early fall and ofcourse we will be in the hayfields June 1st until weaning/shipping time. What part were you wanting to be here for?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talking about a bull with the first-time heifers, I've got a story for you from our past. (By the way, we call them "Springer" heifers.)

Father-in-law had been advised numerous times that to get smaller calves from the Springer heifers, he needed to get a scrubby black bull just for putting with them.

Sadly, father-in-law was never one to buy anything "scrubby." He ended up buying a quality Angus bull and the Springer heifers had a hard time for their first ones.

Later, father-in-law sold the quality Angus bull to my brother-in-law (my sister's husband). B-I-L kept telling me that we sold him a crummy bull as he never, ever saw the bull "servicing" the cows. Come Spring, his calf crop was close to 98%, so we all guessed that the Angus bull took advantage of his color and snuck up on the cows at night.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talking about a bull with the first-time heifers, I've got a story for you from our past. (By the way, we call them "Springer" heifers.)

Father-in-law had been advised numerous times that to get smaller calves from the Springer heifers, he needed to get a scrubby black bull just for putting with them.

Sadly, father-in-law was never one to buy anything "scrubby." He ended up buying a quality Angus bull and the Springer heifers had a hard time for their first ones.

Later, father-in-law sold the quality Angus bull to my brother-in-law (my sister's husband). B-I-L kept telling me that we sold him a crummy bull as he never, ever saw the bull "servicing" the cows. Come Spring, his calf crop was close to 98%, so we all guessed that the Angus bull took advantage of his color and snuck up on the cows at night.
He was a sneaky booger! Yessir I'm familiar with the springer, springing terminology. I use it to describe a heavy bred because their "female anatomy" kinda springs in and out as the walk and that extra weight inside them pulls on em. We don't have anything springing this time of year but I do understand what you're saying.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That sounds like an opening to a story that could get the thread shut down...LOL!!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother has a corriente bull and heifer. When I brought him a round bale a few weeks ago, I was watching his livestock come up and get some hay. The bull and cow wandered up as a pair, and that bull must've been feeling his oats, as he decided to get up on his hind legs and prove that he was a bull.

That billy goat wasn't having none of it, though.

It kind of reminded me of a Jerry Clower story:

Latest posts

Top Bottom