Anybody else working cattle this Spring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We finished it up today. It's been a long week. 6 5gal buckets of testiculars for the week. Lots of wet saddle blankets, bumps and bruises. I love my job! Burnt some "Hat" brands and year brands on our replacement heifers today. For some reason I like the smell. That's me tending the irons in the picture below.
IMG_4364.JPG
IMG_4366.JPG
IMG_4368.JPG
IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4376.JPG
IMG_4377.JPG
IMG_4380.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4367.JPG
    IMG_4367.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 45

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought most used dry ice these days to freeze burn in the brand?

I'd be curious of the process of branding the cattle. Mostly the brand, approx. temp of the brand, how long you typically hold it one the animal and any antibiotics splashed or sprayed on it after the brand before it takes off all pissed off.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be curious of the process of branding the cattle. Mostly the brand, approx. temp of the brand, how long you typically hold it one the animal and any antibiotics splashed or sprayed on it after the brand before it takes off all pissed off.
Well, back in the day it was a red hot branding iron taken from a wood fire around the pens. Rope em, secure the legs, and brand.
It appears cowcatchers operation is much more sophisticated with a propane heater and a hydraulic squeeze chute.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Well, back in the day it was a red hot branding iron taken from a wood fire around the pens. Rope em, secure the legs, and brand.
It appears cowcatchers operation is much more sophisticated with a propane heater and a hydraulic squeeze chute.
I've been in on several rope and drag em to the fire brandings. Definitely more fun. These are yearling heifers weighing 700ish so the hydraulic chute makes it much easier. We don't treat the branded area with anything. Yeah the hotter the iron the better. You hold it on long enough to burn the hair off and make the branded spot the leather color like ya see above.
Yeah Dennis we are plum sophisticated round here, we've got working corrals scattered all over the ranch and we pull a portable working chute along as we go from spot to spot. We used to use a manual chute but a couple years ago we bought a portable hydraulic that we run off of a tractor or on the hydraulic hookups on one of our feedtrucks. Makes life much nicer. The chute above is an old stationary model. Its at our headquarters pens.
Parks788, the freeze branding process is much more complicated in my opinion. You gotta have your timing right for sure. You don't know if you did it right or not until enough time passes for the branded area to grow white hair back. I've never been in on using dry ice but I know it is used by some. I have seen liquid nitrogen used.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys ever hear of the Diamond Eye, Anchor T, Stirrup X, Rocking UL, Lazy S, Oxyoke 2, Triple 7, Frying Pan, Housetop W Ranch?

They only had six head of cattle. They're the only ones that survived the branding.

Latest posts

Top Bottom