Anyone else put their dog into Stealth Mode at night?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have gotten to the point every night to take my dogs collar off. He comes in and goes Ape S#!t for about a minute or two every night. He quickly settles down then patrols the house checking everything out.

We got tired of him waking the boy up on his nightly patrol. So, Stealth Mode it is. No collar until I kick him out in the morning.

Now for the down side. Can't hear his butt get up in the middle of the night. Dang near walked right into him this morning. Lights were still off in the bedroom and I was going to fix some breakfast. He decided to jump up and stand in my path I was walking.

Got to love dogs.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We leave the collars on, but I do understand about running into them in the dark. Our little Rat Terrier is mostly black and likes to stand in the middle of the hall when it is dark. I have no idea how many times I have stepped on the little turd and heard him yelp. He sounds like someone is killing him. :D

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have gotten to the point every night to take my dogs collar off. He comes in and goes Ape S#!t for about a minute or two every night. He quickly settles down then patrols the house checking everything out.

We got tired of him waking the boy up on his nightly patrol. So, Stealth Mode it is. No collar until I kick him out in the morning.

Now for the down side. Can't hear his butt get up in the middle of the night. Dang near walked right into him this morning. Lights were still off in the bedroom and I was going to fix some breakfast. He decided to jump up and stand in my path I was walking.

Got to love dogs.

The clank of the tags doesn't bother me that much, but when the big boy jumps up in the middle of me after each trip to the living room.........After a while I stick his butt in the kennel. His little sister goes to sleep and doesn't move until morning.

ai687.photobucket.com_albums_vv240_oksoulman_33643_1438246398508_1303440171_30990420_2761487_n.jpg

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My German Shepherd has had a cast on his leg for the past eight weeks. There is no stealth mode when that thing goes "thump-thump-thump" down the fake wood floor'ed hallway.

Thank god he got that thing taken off today.

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our dogs don't wear collars unless they're going somewhere. They're mostly indoor dogs, and on the rare occasion of their escape when I've gotten sidetracked :naughty: while they were outside, they just go see the neighbors, who know them/us.

I hate collar marks, and the jingling annoys me.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dog shakes (like, if he were wet and was drying himself, the front to back shake) just to jingle his collar tags (ID tag and rabies tag) to wake me up and let him out at night.

I much prefer it to the loud jumping and barking my other dog makes (which stirs the kid awake). The collar jingle is fairly quiet but loud enough to wake me, which avoids any stains on the carpet.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not here. She lays on the couch most of the night. If we hear her claws on the kitchen tile and the clank of her tag, then we know she's table/counter-surfing. She'll do real good about not doing that for 6 months or so, then have a couple of weeks in relapse.

Another reason why we don't remove her collar: she complains. She is VERY proud of that collar. Seriously. If she's had her collar off for a bath or something for a while and we put it back on, she has to go sit in the most prominent location she can find and crane her neck high to make sure everyone sees it. I thought that only happened in Lady and the Tramp.

She's gotten good at identifying the critters outside approaching the house. Skunk: bark. Armadillo: bark. Coyote: growl. Bobcat: growl. Opossum: silence (she's figured out this one doesn't get shot). Human: bark, three dog growl, head on the ground, rear high in the air with rear claws dug in, tail in a point, spinal hair standing up.

[Broken External Image]

ETA: She's an inside dog, and to avoid collar marks we just leave it loose. In fact, she could easily get out of it if she got loose and somehow got it hung on something. If we're taking her outside (other than letting her out in the fenced part of our yard to poop and piss), we use a choke chain to attach the leash to. I haven't had to pull it much after her first week on it. When we have a bunch of people over and she gets too excited because she's not used to them and verbal instructions aren't working, we just put the chain on her (no leash, so totally loose) and she immediately calms down.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our dogs don't wear collars unless they're going somewhere. They're mostly indoor dogs, and on the rare occasion of their escape when I've gotten sidetracked :naughty: while they were outside, they just go see the neighbors, who know them/us.

I hate collar marks, and the jingling annoys me.

Some of the big pet stores sell dog tag silencers. Rubber things that go around the edges to keep them from jingling. They come in several different styles and are about $1.50. You can find a few at the link below. That way if you get sidetracked :naughty: they will still be safe.

http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_productlist_Nav_516_N_22+4294960656.aspx

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our dog never goes into stealth mode.

When she's awake and on her feet, she's either shredding into my arm or standing at her water and food bowl eating and drinking, which sounds like a sexual act I won't mention in case any kids stumble across this thread about puppies. Either way, she's an indoor dog and has never worn a collar. When she goes for walks or on trips, she has a harness.

Most of the time she's doing this:
[Broken External Image]

And snoring and farting very loudly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom