Anyone else put their dog into Stealth Mode at night?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My youngest German Shepherd sleeps in the closet and has puppy dreams. He can still hear a pin drop. The older German Shepherd sleeps cluddled up to me in bed. Wife likes to steal the covers. If he alerts I'll know it other wise once he's in bed theres no getting up until breakfast. They are the tag team world champions when it comes to home security.

Awwwwwww ...

Jackie dreams a lot. I swear she is chasing that little poodle from across the street in her sleep ... She LOVES to chase that little turd ... If she wasn't so old and down in her back I would worry about what could happen if she actually ever caught him.

Only dog I have ever seen her approach with her hackles up ... It's okay ... I don't like him either. :grumble:

nos8ed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not here. She lays on the couch most of the night. If we hear her claws on the kitchen tile and the clank of her tag, then we know she's table/counter-surfing. She'll do real good about not doing that for 6 months or so, then have a couple of weeks in relapse.

Another reason why we don't remove her collar: she complains. She is VERY proud of that collar. Seriously. If she's had her collar off for a bath or something for a while and we put it back on, she has to go sit in the most prominent location she can find and crane her neck high to make sure everyone sees it. I thought that only happened in Lady and the Tramp.

She's gotten good at identifying the critters outside approaching the house. Skunk: bark. Armadillo: bark. Coyote: growl. Bobcat: growl. Opossum: silence (she's figured out this one doesn't get shot). Human: bark, three dog growl, head on the ground, rear high in the air with rear claws dug in, tail in a point, spinal hair standing up.

[Broken External Image]

ETA: She's an inside dog, and to avoid collar marks we just leave it loose. In fact, she could easily get out of it if she got loose and somehow got it hung on something. If we're taking her outside (other than letting her out in the fenced part of our yard to poop and piss), we use a choke chain to attach the leash to. I haven't had to pull it much after her first week on it. When we have a bunch of people over and she gets too excited because she's not used to them and verbal instructions aren't working, we just put the chain on her (no leash, so totally loose) and she immediately calms down.

I miss my dad's wood burning stove!

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

Not much stealth here at all.... right before bed... we let her out.

She barks at all the cows in the near pasture... warns off coyotes and trails every bunny in our fencerow. That takes about 15 minutes most nights.

When she comes is... she's out for 7 hours. Katie has always figured when I am asleep... she should be too

lockoutmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead of dog tag silencers, use the key ring i.d. rings. They are only .40 or .50 cents and they last and stretch just as well. Most locksmiths sell these in their store.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I miss my dad's wood burning stove!

That's our primary heat once the high's outside gets into the 40s. The central unit can't keep up when the outside temp gets below 40.

When we have it going, she lays there all day, with the two cats on that blue/white gliding footstool behind her.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awwwwwww ...

Jackie dreams a lot. I swear she is chasing that little poodle from across the street in her sleep ... She LOVES to chase that little turd ... If she wasn't so old and down in her back I would worry about what could happen if she actually ever caught him.

Only dog I have ever seen her approach with her hackles up ... It's okay ... I don't like him either. :grumble:

Yea Luther has more puppy or bunny dreams since he's been going through his chemo treatment for cancer. Next march he'll be 10 years old and still very much the pup.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea Luther has more puppy or bunny dreams since he's been going through his chemo treatment for cancer. Next march he'll be 10 years old and still very much the pup.

I was gonna ask how the chemo was going but was kinda afraid to ... Yea, that's Jackie ... and me ... :bigeye: Heart is willing ... the body, ehhhh , not so much anymore!

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was gonna ask how the chemo was going but was kinda afraid to ... Yea, that's Jackie ... and me ... :bigeye: Heart is willing ... the body, ehhhh , not so much anymore!

He's been threw 3 treatments and the lumps are almost gone. He's doing well and full of vim and viger. The blood work has come back good so far. He's holding up pretty good. His little brother keeps him from getting down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom