Anyone else tired of seeing that big-fat moon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may not be the place to ask, but does anybody ever come down from the trees and creep around in the brush? The amount of country a guy has to hunt may preclude it, but what they used to call still hunting is a pretty good tactic if the deer aren't moving.

It's also easy to organize simple drives if you have a few buddies.

Years ago your homo sapiens wouldn't be caught dead up a tree. It was thought to be regressive. You never saw Eisenhower or Omar Bradley up a tree.
Roaming around is the only way I hunt. I've never hunted out of a tree, and have only used an elevated stand on my hunt in North Carolina.

I don't wait for critters to come to me, I go in and get them.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, they are starting to yard back up and put the feedbag on in my area. I saw 2 big groups of does Tuesday. I got skunked this moring but my hunting buddy saw 8 does.
I'm hoping to catch a buck up and about trying to put some post rut weight back on.

I am going to sleep in tommorow and try a midday hunt. I haven't seen deer at sunrise in a couple weeks anways.

As fas as still hunting, I don't do much of it. With less than 200 acres and taking into account the terrain, we disturb them enough already.
Besides, the chess game of stand hunting is more fun to me. I had 6 deer within 8 yards of me tuesday, some closer. I love getting deer that close.
Plus the majority of the time I spend in the woods I am bowhunting, and I ain't good enough to get within 30 yards of a deer on foot in cornflake leaves.

Now, if I was hunting out west on a big piece of land with open fields and brushy draws and creeks and what not, that is dang sure what I'd be doing this week. Sneaking about with rifle in hand.

Overall it's been a great season so far. Today was sit number 52 in a stand since Oct. 2nd. Took a nice doe with my bow in early October, took a small 8 point with my muzzleloader the last day. Up until gun season, I saw more deer and more 2.5 year old bucks than ever before. I have seen 1 fully mature buck from stand (a lot of times I go a whole season without seeing a 3.5+, so that is good for my place). Unfortunately he was at 45 yards, and I won't shoot more than 30 with my bow. Saw lots and lots of rut activity, thats always fun. Had 2 smallish bucks chase 2 different does all around my stand one evening for like 30 minutes.

I'll have the rifle out looking for a buck this weekend, then it's back to the bow and I might try for another doe with it.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, they are starting to yard back up and put the feedbag on in my area. I saw 2 big groups of does Tuesday. I got skunked this moring but my hunting buddy saw 8 does.
I'm hoping to catch a buck up and about trying to put some post rut weight back on.

I am going to sleep in tommorow and try a midday hunt. I haven't seen deer at sunrise in a couple weeks anways.

As fas as still hunting, I don't do much of it. With less than 200 acres and taking into account the terrain, we disturb them enough already.
Besides, the chess game of stand hunting is more fun to me. I had 6 deer within 8 yards of me tuesday, some closer. I love getting deer that close.
Plus the majority of the time I spend in the woods I am bowhunting, and I ain't good enough to get within 30 yards of a deer on foot in cornflake leaves.

Now, if I was hunting out west on a big piece of land with open fields and brushy draws and creeks and what not, that is dang sure what I'd be doing this week. Sneaking about with rifle in hand.

Overall it's been a great season so far. Today was sit number 52 in a stand since Oct. 2nd. Took a nice doe with my bow in early October, took a small 8 point with my muzzleloader the last day. Up until gun season, I saw more deer and more 2.5 year old bucks than ever before. I have seen 1 fully mature buck from stand (a lot of times I go a whole season without seeing a 3.5+, so that is good for my place). Unfortunately he was at 45 yards, and I won't shoot more than 30 with my bow. Saw lots and lots of rut activity, thats always fun. Had 2 smallish bucks chase 2 different does all around my stand one evening for like 30 minutes.

I'll have the rifle out looking for a buck this weekend, then it's back to the bow and I might try for another doe with it.

Sounds like you're having a great season so far. I'm like you in the fact that I love the strategy of treestand hunting. The scouting that goes into placement is all part of the hunt to me.

We've extended rifle season on the lease this year to line up with the state season so I'm taking my rifle out in the morning and my bow just in case I see a big buck within bow range. Geez, I can't wait!!!

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hold your thumb up to the sky, that should cover it. The moon phases are part of hunting, figure out what you can do, then do it. I saw three deer in my Uncles yard last night feeding on acorns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When its full moon, you just as well sleep in and go out about 9am, and spend the rest of the day in the field, or in the stand, as they get tired of laying up, and pattern other hunters that leave the field at 9am, and want to get up and stretch and get light snack around noon or so. My two biggest bucks have been killed at 1100hrs, and 1330 hrs. With the colder weather, they must eat more to keep up their metabolism, and stay warm. so, consequently, they are out and about more. That ='s more shooting opportunities.:D

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last 3 days I have seen more deer grazing in wheat fields than the previous 2 weeks. Mostly mornings and evenings, so I think the colder weather and the rut conclusion has them packing on the winter fat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom