Anyone use Amazon Echo/Alexa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I finally ordered a new toy I've been really drooling over - no, not the Echo. It's called the Fireboard and it's a wireless cloud-connected smart BBQ thermometer. It's got 6 channels and can monitor your cooks from beginning to end as well as keeping track of all the info and keeping graphs available in the cloud and on your phone. Also Bluetooth-enabled for when WiFi isn't available, and then uploads those offline graphs when you get back to WiFi.

So, THAT is what I've been eyeballing, and then I also ordered an Amazon Echo and 2 Echo dots, mainly because my new Fireboard will interface with them so I can just ask Alexa what my temp is on any channel and it will tell me from where I am. I'll have the Echo and Dots scattered around wherever, but I can also use them to access my home NAS and media server to play music from wherever in the house by voice while I'm cooking and such, out on the back porch BBQing, beer drinking, whatever.

I thought it would be fun, and I had a ton of Discover points to use up and thought, "What the hell, why not?"

So yeah, it's silly, but I had a whim and I went with it. My wife is always eye-rolling at the BBQ monitoring stuff I've got already, a pair of Maverick ET-732s, a Weber iGrill wireless thermometer, etc. So this was one neat way of getting better eye rolls, but I can now monitor my cooks from anywhere in the world I've got an internet connection!

:drunk5:

:mosh:

<edit> Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here used Alexa and how well they liked it, how well it worked, etc.?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son got an Echo Dot from his mother for his birthday. He hated it. We would be having a conversation and Alexa would answer him without being asked. He gave it to me and I found a program that plays sleep sounds. She now lives in my bedroom.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two slices of wheat bread. A squirt of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. A couple slices of deli turkey meat.

Dinner is ready. Thirty seconds start to finish. Nothing to clean up afterward, either.

To each his or her own.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also...
Be careful with the BBQ monitoring. You wife may come to the conclusion that you have everything you need to cook remotely and therefore have no need to sit out back and drink while you cook.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to have one for other home automation things I have in place. I keep looking at all of the security related comments and it still concerns me a bit. I'm still going to get one just to play with...

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Love my echo dots! It’s a slippery slope. Next thing you know you’ll be switching out your thermostat and all kinds of things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom