Are We Preparing Our Teachers, Administrators and Kids to Respond Wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/experts-schools’-active-shooter-prep-being-done-the-wrong-way/ar-BBJHq02?li=BBnb7Kz

Interesting. I guess the old "run, hide, fight" thing is no longer fashionable. Now, "experts" are saying to just run. But I found this advice really interesting too: "...called on schools to install safety features that can prevent casualties in the event of a mass shooting, such as classroom doors that can be locked from the inside without keys as well as keeping objects such as hammers or screwdrivers that could wound an intruder".

So now, some of the experts are advising that objects like hammers and screwdrivers should be kept in classrooms that can be used to wound an intruder. Hey, now there's a good idea! I'm gonna stop the guy with a gun by poking him with this screwdriver. Or maybe, he will hold still and not shoot for a second or so and I can whack him with this hammer. Yeah; that is gonna do the job just fine.

How about this: Maybe instead of hammers and screwdrivers, we could let those Teachers and pertinent employees who are licensed and want to be armed with something a bit better then a damned kitchen drawer tool, carry a defensive firearm which can also be used to wound or better yet, actually stop a damn intruder a heck of a lot better than some damn tool?

The crap we are reading; the silly crap we are hearing...and being told...it's getting ridiculous. Screwdrivers...Jeebus. It's so damned stupid its almost funny. Except it's not. What will they think of next?

Perhaps that said hammer MUST be a rubber mallet?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is copious nonsense being presented on this matter. I’m responsible for active shooter/workplace violence training for my employer, so I tend to read books as they are released and attend multiple conferences and trainings every year. A couple of years ago schools actually promoted the ide of parents sending their children to school with a couple of cans of soup or vegetables, so that their little ones could pelt an attacker with them if necessary. Let that sink in. Gun free, expell you for pointing your finger, schools are directing students to arm themselves, albeit inefficiently. After all, if anyone needs clobbered with canned peas, for heaven’s sake call the police! They are licensed and trained to throw canned food.

A can of soup? This is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched a special on TV today about shelters in each classroom that would double for storm shelters and a place to be safe from a school shooter.
I don't know the construction material but it wasn't hardened steel or concrete. I suspect it was kevlar based because the school principal and the designer were inside while a team outside shot it with multiple rounds from AK and MSR rounds. You could see some material edges around where the bullets were hitting.
It would all depend on the cost if the schools could afford it, but in the case of the Florida school shooting would have been ineffective as the kids were in hallways, etc after a fire alarm had been pulled.
So, now we are back to arming teachers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom