Arvest Bank is changing their stance on OC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arvest is a WM compnay.
No they are not. They are majority owned by the son of Sam Walton but are not part of Wal-Mart.

The Arvest nearest me is in a Wal-Mart, seems to create a little convolution. Ok to be in Wal-Mart, not OK to use the Bank inside?
Now that you mention it, I use a couple of in store banks and have never noticed the signs there. I don't know if this is due to the fact they are in the store or just because they have no store front to put the sign on. Frankly, I don't go looking for the signs because they don't change my behavior but I will look next time I'm in.

I say don't waste your time getting worked up over nothing.
Amen. I'm not an Arvest apologist but I am guessing this has more to do with liability than anything. Some actuary nerd has likely developed probabilities that determine it is better to not put up a fight and lose the money in a robbery than to put up a fight (or encourage others to do so) and have to deal potential wrongful death suits, etc. While I don't have any personal knowledge about the political affiliation of the Walton family, I would assume they lean conservative and are not anti-2nd amendment. This is most likely a business decision on their part not a political one.

I am not opposed to weapons in my business, concealed or open. However, if my insurance company informs me that my rates will sky rocket if I don't post a gun buster sign, you can be assured that I'll slap one up in a heartbeat. Every business is going to have to weigh the pros and cons of this. The decision is not as cut and dry as many of you would like to believe. It also may have nothing to do with their stance on the second amendment.

Gun owners scored a major victory in our state with having some of our second amendment rights returned. We should all try to enjoy the victory with some class and continue trying to bring more neighbors into our community. I am not referring to the anti-gun folks out there but those who are on the fence or apathetic. Don't let the little signs get you all riled up. Just untuck your shirt and go in concealed like you used to.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So let's role play a little. You're an average bank teller. Probably female, mid-30's to mid-50's in age. You handle a great deal of money every single day. While bank robbery isn't as popular today as it used to be, it still happens once in a while. You see so many different faces each day, that these customers are pretty much numbers in a computer...

Now while you're sitting there today, the door chimes and catches you attention. As you watch this member walk towards the counter, you notice a firearm on their hip, and no badge/uniform to go with it... Is your first thought "That must be an outstanding member of society excersizing his rights in a lawfully legal way."

I agree with Arvest on their apparent new stance on open carry.

That's a great view from the anti gun crowd.

Do you work for the Brady Campaign?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No they are not. They are majority owned by the son of Sam Walton but are not part of Wal-Mart.

Now that you mention it, I use a couple of in store banks and have never noticed the signs there. I don't know if this is due to the fact they are in the store or just because they have no store front to put the sign on. Frankly, I don't go looking for the signs because they don't change my behavior but I will look next time I'm in.

Amen. I'm not an Arvest apologist but I am guessing this has more to do with liability than anything. Some actuary nerd has likely developed probabilities that determine it is better to not put up a fight and lose the money in a robbery than to put up a fight (or encourage others to do so) and have to deal potential wrongful death suits, etc. While I don't have any personal knowledge about the political affiliation of the Walton family, I would assume they lean conservative and are not anti-2nd amendment. This is most likely a business decision on their part not a political one.

I am not opposed to weapons in my business, concealed or open. However, if my insurance company informs me that my rates will sky rocket if I don't post a gun buster sign, you can be assured that I'll slap one up in a heartbeat. Every business is going to have to weigh the pros and cons of this. The decision is not as cut and dry as many of you would like to believe. It also may have nothing to do with their stance on the second amendment.

Gun owners scored a major victory in our state with having some of our second amendment rights returned. We should all try to enjoy the victory with some class and continue trying to bring more neighbors into our community. I am not referring to the anti-gun folks out there but those who are on the fence or apathetic. Don't let the little signs get you all riled up. Just untuck your shirt and go in concealed like you used to.

Refreshing to see some logic around here. Good posting.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Putting up a sign is making a stand, taking an action.

You are right, action should be taken, but the correct action would be to switch insurance companies. To put up a sign in that circumstances is basically taking the path of least resistance, caving in so to speak. Not even attempting to make a stand for your beliefs. Some beliefs are worth more than just dollars and cents.

If a businessman is a Christian and his insurance company will raise his rates unless he puts up a sign with "666" on it, should he? It would make financial sense. What if they demand he spits on a picture of Jesus should he do that too? Where should we draw the line when supporting beliefs?

I saw the signs at Arvest and I too will be making a financial decision - to not do business with a bank who stands for what I do not.

Same reason I do not have GEICO insurance either. They support what I do not and the only way I can vote is with my wallet.

I am a business owner and will never post such a sign on my business. If the day ever comes that I cannot afford to stay in business AND stay true to my beliefs then that is the day that I will find something else to do.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So let's role play a little. You're an average bank teller. Probably female, mid-30's to mid-50's in age. You handle a great deal of money every single day. While bank robbery isn't as popular today as it used to be, it still happens once in a while. You see so many different faces each day, that these customers are pretty much numbers in a computer...

Now while you're sitting there today, the door chimes and catches you attention. As you watch this member walk towards the counter, you notice a firearm on their hip, and no badge/uniform to go with it... Is your first thought "That must be an outstanding member of society excersizing his rights in a lawfully legal way."

I agree with Arvest on their apparent new stance on open carry.

With a little public education, yes," that looks like a guy exercising his 2A rights. "

Why cater to the fears and lack of education to the lowest denominator?

Latest posts

Top Bottom