Ask a Chef

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have asked for a cooking\recipe section in the past it just hasn't happened yet.

+1 There are a large number of cooks on these forums and a recipe section would really consolidate some threads. Everyone that is not a cook is certainly an eater and can pass along the recipe or tips to somebody that can cook

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can answer this one.... stay too broke to go out to eat. Works in my house at least.

I started cooking when I was going to school and needed an inexpensive way to eat. Beans, chili, soups, stews, spaghetti and sandwiches. I started expanding out by cooking Stouffer Entrees and adding my own salads. I would take hamburger helper and add my own seasonings. Then over time, I just kept adding more and more recipes to my repertoire. Now I almost cook exclusively at home because I'm not satisfied by the quality and value of food that is served in most restaurants.

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you make that fancy white wine sauce for fish?

Sauté fresh minced garlic and shallots in a little olive oil say a tbl spoon of each. Add about 1 cup of white wine reduce by half. Finish with 1/2 stick of butter and a fresh herb of your choice season with salt and pepper.

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always wondered if you really need to wash the pots and pans if your gonna just get stuff hot in 'em next time anyway...won't that kill all the germs?

You want to wash them in most cases. Seasoning a pan or flat top is usually done when the items being cooked on or with them are the same item or are complemented by the seasoned metal. So if you want a dedicated bacon skillet that you just wipe out that is fine but I wouldn't make Alfredo sauce in the same skillet.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend sani-safe knives for a cheap easily sharpened no frills kitchen knife. I personally have some high end Japanese knives(masahiro, shun, hattori) I prefer over the German stuff. But really buying cheaper kitchen knives made for commercial use will last a long time under residential use.

I use the apex pro and ceramic honing rod for sharpening.

Yeah, I have learned to just buy my knives from Oklahoma Restaurant Supply on W California and N Miller. Decent price and quality.

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good hummus recipe ... I like hummus but am tiring of my "go to" recipe ... any of you guys got one you want to share?

I will let you convert the quantities.

You will need a food processor.

One # 10 can chick peas, 6 ounces tahini, 2 cups evoo, salt and pepper.

Clean peas, put in processor turn on high, add about a cup of water to help blend, add tahini and oil slowly and salt and pepper.

From this stage you can flavor any way you like here are a few I enjoy.

Jalapeño, habanero, poblano, anhiem chile
Kalamata olive and goat cheese
Fresh herb, basil, rosemary, thyme etc
Garlic sauted onion
Spinach fold in grape tomatoes

Really almost anything will work with humus.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good hummus recipe ... I like hummus but am tiring of my "go to" recipe ... any of you guys got one you want to share?

The recipe my family has been using for decades is:

2 Cans Garbanzo Beans (drained and rinsed)
1/4 cup Tahini
Juice from 2 lemons
4 cloves of garlic (I like garlic!)

Blend on high and add a little water until it just blends enough on it's own without being too think that it gets pushed up and stays above the blades.

With a spatula, pour/spread on a deep bowl or dish. Add Cracked pepper & kosher salt then pour a thin layer or Extra Virgin olive oil on top. By not mixing the olive oil in you get better texture and better flavors. (in my opinion)

I like it with toasted pita or triscuits.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want to wash them in most cases. Seasoning a pan or flat top is usually done when the items being cooked on or with them are the same item or are complemented by the seasoned metal. So if you want a dedicated bacon skillet that you just wipe out that is fine but I wouldn't make Alfredo sauce in the same skillet.

How could this not be a great idea?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ohhhh ... thanks for the recipes guys ... I just finished off my last of my batch at breakfast this morning. I'll try ya'lls recipes ... Been on a black bean hummus kick for a while ... might need to go back to chickpeas for a while ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom