Beef too high in the store?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lot of issues in the meat and poultry industry ...

One is the plants can't get people to work there. Tyson is going to offer "relocation" for plant workers and bonuses for staying just to retain people ... and keep them from workign at Amazon.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the wife and I started having our own meats processed in mid 90's it was about a $15-25 kill fee and 25-35 cents a lb to process.. Now it's an $85 kill fee and 85 cents per pound, after feeding grain for 90 days and those fee's Our beef isn't going to be cheap enough for the venture.. I'm going to have to become ready to do it myself..
The guy my brother and I use charges $60 kill fee and went up to 92 cents a pound to process. It put our cost per pound at about $5.75 which is up about a buck a pound from last year. In my opinion, it’s still not worth tackling it myself. I’m set up for deer, but my little operation can’t handle an 1100# steer. Even at what we’re paying now, it’s still cheaper and MUCH BETTER meat than anything we could buy locally.:anyone:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy my brother and I use charges $60 kill fee and went up to 92 cents a pound to process. It put our cost per pound at about $5.75 which is up about a buck a pound from last year. In my opinion, it’s still not worth tackling it myself. I’m set up for deer, but my little operation can’t handle an 1100# steer. Even at what we’re paying now, it’s still cheaper and MUCH BETTER meat than anything we could buy locally.:anyone:

I'm not far from retirement, then I'll be looking to keep myself busy and making / saving some needed $$.. If I get set up right and skills honed I can be of service to others.. As far as beef ours are 00 frame so I might see a 800 lb carcass at best.. The said price I quoted was when the date was made, it may have changed and if it's gone up,iza not gonna be a happy camper..

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not far from retirement, then I'll be looking to keep myself busy and making / saving some needed $$.. If I get set up right and skills honed I can be of service to others.. As far as beef ours are 00 frame so I might see a 800 lb carcass at best.. The said price I quoted was when the date was made, it may have changed and if it's gone up,iza not gonna be a happy camper..
Does your guy shrink wrap or use butcher paper?

Latest posts

Top Bottom