Beef too high in the store?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can't climb up on a chute and push a 1/2-3/4 inch dent in its back with your thumb that stays a dent and don't snap back up she isn't ready for PRIME TIME. That's a sheath of back fat that has to be put on first before you start to get a good marble. Marbleing is the last fat to be put on after the animal runs out of places to stick it and starts placing it inter-muscle. And your never going to get there with grass. JMHO. 85-90 days min on feed and a little more if you got it up to 120.

You don't need no teefs to eat my beefs. Heart transplant maybe, but I don't plan on sitting in an old folks home staring at the door.
I have grain fed a steer on sweat feed for 120 days. Started him at 800 lbs and it was exactly the target weight of 1250 in 4 months. It was VERY good but the recent price of sweat feed would cost me over a grand to do that now. I spent about $450 back then in about 2004.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are good looking calves and look like they could’ve been someone’s show steers.

I believe I’ve said this before, but anyone wanting a steer for processing should contact their local ag teacher to see if they know of any kids wanting to get rid of theirs after show season. I can almost guarantee that those animals are going to better bred and better fed than anything an individual will do for themselves.:anyone:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are good looking calves and look like they could’ve been someone’s show steers.

I believe I’ve said this before, but anyone wanting a steer for processing should contact their local ag teacher to see if they know of any kids wanting to get rid of theirs after show season. I can almost guarantee that those animals are going to better bred and better fed than anything an individual will do for themselves.:anyone:
2 show steers here. Scheduled for kill in 2 weeks. $3.50 hanging weight plus processing at .71 per pound for paper wrap and .81 per pound for vac pac.

Latest posts

Top Bottom