Best/cheapest way to make a will?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am needing to make a will. Ive looked online and most sites are about 160 or so and I am not sure what all is needed if doing one that way. I live in OKC and was just wonder if maybe I could do it somewhere local relatively cheap? Should be simple as I will have only two beneficiaries. Thx for any info!!!!!!!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the estate is large or complicated, hire a reputable estate lawyer. If you are dividing assets, make sure you spell it out clearly, particularly property or assets. You can't be too specific when dealing with assets like land. Have surveys done and use them when assigning inheritance.
If you see a fight, have everything sold at auction and monies divided to your wishes and to whom you wish.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best is not cheapest. In Oklahoma you can write one yourself, must be in your handwriting (no pre-printed form, no letterhead, etc; no witnesses), show intent to pass property, be signed and dated.

Check with lawyers as to what they charge, I think you will be surprised at how little a "simple" will cost. If you have a large estate and/or several parties to pass things to, get a lawyer, it will save money in the end.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It can be done, I would take another will-perhaps one you had previously and use it as a copy, change it to your liking-perhaps you can find a will completed on the internet?
Regardless, have witnesses sign the will or it will easily be overturned. Maybe someone will loan you a will to follow?
Are you a veteran? Try someone in your local VFW, DAV etc. They will be glad to assist you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've studied a Trust is even better.

Depending on the value and size of the inheritance as I understand it.
Landowners certainly need a trust to pass along their wishes and avoid the death tax if their land exceeded the limits currently stated, but trusts expire. So the person locking their land into a trust will likely have multiple grandkids and great grandkids fighting over that land, and their portion of it.
So if putting the land into a trust, do you want your direct descendants that you raised and nurtured to benefit from your land or descendants that you don’t even know fighting over it down the road?
It’s a heck of a decision.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know what you have in the way of property.
But it was explained to me that if you own land in various counties and don't have a trust it can get expensive quick for the heirs.
Property in each county must be probated in that county. Not just one court case for all.
Plus it spells out if one of the heirs tries to fight the will and cut out the others they get nothing. LOL!

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thx for the info gentlemen! No I don't own any property other than any equity I have in my house. All I really have is two vehicles, my house that I am still paying on and a pretty extensive collection of firearms. I want to split it between my ex and my son. I am not in poor health or dying but I still have about 60k worth of assets that if something did happen to me I don't wont getting tied up in court.

Latest posts

Top Bottom