Best way to defend boat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I"m not coming down on you, it sounds like it was a sudden thing. Thing is, if you'd have been carrying, would you have drawn down on someone forcibly boarding your boat with a weapon in hand? I would have... would you have shot him? Dunno... depends on how he handled it once I had drawn, I imagine. Protection of my family is paramount, and I look at it EXACTLY as if he were carjacking me or invading my home, personally. It would be interesting to get some opinions from LEO/Lake Patrol folks to see how this kind of situation is supposed to be handled.

I would most definitely file a report... yes, it's your word against theirs, but that's how it ALWAYS is in these kinds of situations. They'd have to look at motive first... as in your motive to file some kind of false accusation against him. If you had no idea who he was, nor had ever had any dealings with him, just randomly picking someone off the lake to make up a story about doesn't seem logical. Plus, in the course of the investigation, other stories might come out, the person might have a history, etc.

I'd think there would be several charges that could be leveled against him... whether you want to go to that trouble now is your business.

This is a good exercise in mental preparedness for some of us, though... many of us say as soon as someone comes into our home, into our car, etc., with any kind of malicious intent, we will respond with deadly force. Now, in hindsight, had you had a concealed weapon on you, and used it in a manner you saw fit to protect your family, would you regret it? Everything obviously worked out in the end, but if you had had a weapon, it might have escalated beyond that. How would you have felt about that, and knowing what you know now, would it change anything for you?

I would have drawn, and depending on how he handled it, would have decided my next move. I feel like my normal gun, lcp, I might have been undergunned, not in caliber, but rounds, due to the # of people. Thing that is pretty upsetting, is my mother is glad I was not carrying, and acts like the whole thing is no big deal.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something stainless is probably better than something blued. Cerakoted would be best but that's getting expensive on "boat gun" unless you'd use it for more than that. I'd advise a holster with active retention depending upon how you use your boat. Thinking along the lines of bending over to pull small children out of water or to grab fishing lines to bring fish up over rail etc. I wouldn't want to drop it. What kind of gun were you thinking? You said you want something with capacity so probably something compact or service size in 9 or 40 would be fitting. A glock 23(compact .40S&W) holds I believe 13 or 14 rounds. That would be plenty, especially if you had a spare mag in a glove compartment or other compartment well that was lockable.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about mounting some kind of retention holster like a Serpa somewhere in the boat, maybe around the steering/throttle area?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about mounting some kind of retention holster like a Serpa somewhere in the boat, maybe around the steering/throttle area?

I wear board shorts on the boat, so I was thinking a Serpa mounted to the console with my glock 22, wont be wearing anything and open carry isnt legal yet LOL. I would probably put the maritime spring cups in. How would the finish hold up? If its gonna be bad, I might get a cheap gen 2 or 3 trade in to use. Mine has a insight m3 mounted on it, prob wont use that on the boat, distance is so close, I can identify without it.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a way to mount it under/inside the console? Something like these might be concealed enough:

www.gumcreekcustoms.com_images_products_132.jpg

farm6.static.flickr.com_5069_5622003364_94663c03ed.jpg

It would obviously depend on how your console is set up, but might give you some ideas. Maybe drape a towel or rag over it for concealment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom