Big bore rifle choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ammo for the .375 H&H is available literally everywhere in Africa. It's sort of like the 30-06 for that continent.

Additionally, that round is very friendly to the shoulder, unlike the .338 Win Mag. About muzzle velocities up in the high twenties, think again. Many professional hunters will tell you that they want 300 grains going about 23-24 hundred fps for the cleanest kills.

As for big brown bears, Alaska natives do hunt them (and everything else) with .270 rifles, but they do it very carefully. That's only enough gun if everything goes just right. A friend of mine killed a polar bearwith one in a charge, but after she shot it it the damned thing ran another 90 yards. She dodged it and it didn't know it was dead yet. She wasn't bear hunting--killing caribou for dog food. If she hadn't been able to get out out of the way, she would have been killed.

Go with the .375 for a super all around gun. I even hunt hogs and deer with mine. Much less meat damage with big slow bullets. You can "eat right up to the hole." CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom