Bird dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He could be my 11 year old male's twin. The battles and frustrations that I've had with ours lasted for years, but most stemmed from my own ignorance of how much time, work, and attention Weim's require. I grew up with sheep dogs so the difference between breeds was a little shocking. Ours finally became more subdued (and much less headstrong) after he had a required nueter surgery after a few bouts with a reocurring prostate infection when he was 7 or 8 years.

Lol, yes they require a lot of time and the patience of Job

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of bird dogs are pretty high strung it seems like.If I could only have one type of dog it would be a Brittany.The only negative I have found with them is the burrs get stuck in their long hair.They are easy to train and want to please their master.Plus they generally have a very good nose and lock up solid when on point.They also hunt close in naturally.A few pointers I have had were hard headed and ranged too far out.Had 2 german short hairs that were very good dogs but they took a lot of work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of bird dogs are pretty high strung it seems like.If I could only have one type of dog it would be a Brittany.The only negative I have found with them is the burrs get stuck in their long hair.They are easy to train and want to please their master.Plus they generally have a very good nose and lock up solid when on point.They also hunt close in naturally.A few pointers I have had were hard headed and ranged too far out.Had 2 german short hairs that were very good dogs but they took a lot of work.
Absolutely the truth.
The britts are family dogs. They love being around people, but get serious in the field. Great around kids. Not a mean bone in their body.
At one time they were called poachers dogs because they can be taught to retrieve anything from waterfowl to quail. More than one of my britts has swam way out into the lake after geese or duck that are swimming. I'm not a duck hunter because none of my hunting buddies are. I'm not against duck hunting, just have nobody to go with.
Trim the hair short as we do each summer to help keep the burrs off them. Easier to get out when they do.
Cockle burrs are the worst in the fall and during hunting season.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spot on here. They all require some amount of training to be really good. With all things involved in upland bird hunting in Oklahoma and Kansas that I have done since about 1981 the GSP has been the all-around best breed. Though I have hunted with very good Britts, GSP, Eng/Elhew Pointers, Setters. The traits in some breeds that determined my observation is (Stickers/Burrs in some longer hair breeds, wide ranging in some, harder to train in some, all day/multiple days heavy/crop and cover hunting, large groups pheasant hunts). Each breed can be trained to do really good. One thing is for sure they all will train their master or their master will train them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom